Rigging instructions

I'm slowly approaching the rigging portion of this Discovery1789 build. As this is my first build and I have no indication of the rigging layout except for the the deadeyes location/order. It occurred to me that kits must come with rigging instructions. Is this so? Some manufacturers offer free copies of their plans on their website so does it make sense to go looking for rigging instructions of a comparable ship like maybe the Bounty? It's not the actual layout I'm after, it's mostly the order that stuff should be installed so that I'm not getting in my own way. I have a bunch of rigging books so I think I'm OK there, it's just the order of installation that's worrying me. At least that's what's worrying me today:)

I'm slowly approaching the rigging portion of this Discovery1789 build. As this is my first build and I have no indication of the rigging layout except for the the deadeyes location/order. It occurred to me that kits must come with rigging instructions. Is this so? Some manufacturers offer free copies of their plans on their website so does it make sense to go looking for rigging instructions of a comparable ship like maybe the Bounty? It's not the actual layout I'm after, it's mostly the order that stuff should be installed so that I'm not getting in my own way. I have a bunch of rigging books so I think I'm OK there, it's just the order of installation that's worrying me. At least that's what's worrying me today:)
Hi Don,
I have found it easer if I rig the yards then the yards to the mast and then the Stays followed by the shrouds and ratlins.
I am by no way an expert but the way I do it is easer for me.

The two models I have been involved with have rigging instructions. One model (AL San Francisco II) had resonable instruction, the model I am currently building has PAGES of rigging drawings - I'll just have to interpret them....not quite there as yet, I'm doing deadeyes right now for shrouds...Who is your model manufacturer? Do they have online documentation? Any Build Logs with your ship that might help?

Do you tie the shrouds to the masts off of the model or on the model? Also, do you find rigging the stays before the ratlines difficult? I like your idea of rigging the yards to the masts first. trucks and parrels are a nightmare to install on the model.

Hi Don.
This may help. Investigator 1798. I am still working on the running rigging drawings. I have 4 sheets to the standing rigging. The written doc is based on Steel, Lees, Lever and a couple of others. Remember there are a couple of rigging items particular to Discovery period. You may also have "backstays" and "after backstays". and the lead of braces foward to sheaves in the tressle trees.
This is a low resolution plan. A3. but still very readable.
There still might be an error as it is a work in progress.
Regards
Allan

Attachments

• Investigator_08_A3.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 303
  • Standing Rigging progressive.pdf
    126 KB · Views: 219
Hi Don.
This may help. Investigator 1798. I am still working on the running rigging drawings. I have 4 sheets to the standing rigging. The written doc is based on Steel, Lees, Lever and a couple of others. Remember there are a couple of rigging items particular to Discovery period. You may also have "backstays" and "after backstays". and the lead of braces foward to sheaves in the tressle trees.
Regards
Allan
Great work my friend

Do you tie the shrouds to the masts off of the model or on the model? Also, do you find rigging the stays before the ratlines difficult? I like your idea of rigging the yards to the masts first. trucks and parrels are a nightmare to install on the model.
Hi Jack Sparrow.
I tie the shrouds to the mast after I have tied the aft-stays that way the mast is held in place whilst I get the right lengths and tie the deadeyes.
Then if you should happen to tit the deadeyes a little tight the mast dose not pull out of shape so much.
Please remember that this is the way I do the rigging and that I am not an expert at it.

This is how I do my rigging:

Tie the rigging on the yardarms.
Attach the rigged yardarms to mast.
Do the rigging from the yardarms to the masts.
Insert the mast.
Rig the stays from the mast.
Rig the shrouds to the mast and tie off the deadeyes.
Tie the ratlines.
Repeat the same for each mast
Then rig the rest of the running rigging.

Hi Don.
Regards
Allan
That is amazing Alan. Thank you very much. I think I'm set now. There are a couple of differences I'm curious about. The Discovery1789 has 7 fore shrouds and 8 main shrouds and the main backstays are on their own little channel(the name slips my mind). That shouldn't make any difference should it? Other than the obvious :) I'm sure I will have more questions but I have to stare at this for a while. Thank you very much.

Here is a drawing of Discovery1789 with the proposed changes in preparation for the trip. If you look at the deadeye arrangement before and after(red and green) it looks to me that the rigging was upgraded. It has more shrouds and larger deadeyes. With a quick look the before looks like it would match up with your drawings quite nicely.

DISCOVERY_1789_RMG_J0509.jpg

A little side note. When Discovery set out on it voyage by the time they got to Cape Town it was obvious that the bowsprit was too weak and when they stopped they had to install a fish to beef it up. It makes me wonder if the jib was from the original rig and it never got upgraded. Trying to save a couple of quid :)

Hi Don.
The upper works were raised, which necessitated the raising of the channels. The shrouds would have rested against the rails if the channels were not raised.
She looks as is it was rigged as a 24 gun ship.
Hers is a rough layout showing the shrouds/ backstays. The shrouds are 11" deadeyes and backstays 8"
The masts are from my Investigator. Probably very close as they were proportioned from the hull dimensions of which Discovery is similar.
You can see that the chain plates all line up.
The pdf is larger.
It is obvious from my investigations that when the navy purchased a vessel and refitted it they kept the masts and spars if they were in good condition.
Investigator was surveyed at a later stage and the lower masts and yards match merchant service dimensions not "Naval" standard.
It is more than likely that Discovery's bowsprit was the one she was built with.

regards AllanScreenshot (56).png

Attachments

• DISCOVERY_01.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
Martin555. I’d like to see your instructions on tiring blocks to yards , masts, eyelets etc.
I’m looking for a easy way to tie them as I’m starting to rig the Pegasus.
Buffalo Jack

my approach to rigging is to start inside (closest to the mast) and work out. I also start lowest and work up. Both are after the masts and yards are in place. Using that concept makes the order clear for me.

Me estoy acercando lentamente a la parte de montaje de esta construcción Discovery1789. Como esta es mi primera construcción y no tengo ninguna indicación del diseño del aparejo, excepto por la ubicación/orden de los deadeyes. Se me ocurrió que los kits deben venir con instrucciones de montaje. ¿Es esto así? Algunos fabricantes ofrecen copias gratuitas de sus planos en su sitio web, entonces, ¿tiene sentido buscar instrucciones de montaje de un barco comparable como quizás el Bounty? No es el diseño real lo que busco, es principalmente el orden en que se deben instalar las cosas para que no me interponga en mi propio camino. Tengo un montón de libros de rigging, así que creo que estoy bien allí, es solo el orden de instalación lo que me preocupa. Al menos eso es lo que me preocupa

Mi experiencia y la de muchos que me han enseñado en publicaciones de ellos, lo mejor es fabricar todas las piezas que van encima de la cubierta principal y luego estudiar el proceso a seguir. No es nada fácil, hay que pensarlo muy bien, hacer la lista y luego echarle ganas y trabajo. Siempre surge alguna sorpresa, pero eso es la gracia para aprender en cada modelo. Suerte

Martin555. I’d like to see your instructions on tiring blocks to yards , masts, eyelets etc.
I’m looking for a easy way to tie them as I’m starting to rig the Pegasus.
Buffalo Jack
Hi Buffalo Jack.
Please remember that I only make my models just for something to do in my spare time.
I do not rig these ships the way that they are supposed to be rigged with all the correct knots and splices, so therefor I tie my blocks to the yards just using ordinary knots and then put a very small amount of CA glue on the knot to stop it from undoing, then I cut off the ends close to the knot as possible.
Also the model I am working on (see build log 'My little Victory') is a small scale model, if it was a larger scale then I would attempt to try and rig the ship properly or as best I could.

You might find this book of use.

91qYU1V++JL.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I’m trying
to do the same thing. I like to follow the
standard block tying method but there are times when it’s really Time consuming And a simple square knot works.

I'm just finishing up my first build... USS Constitution cross section scale 1/100. The knots I used to tie the blocks to the mast and yards were either granny knots, square knots, or clove hitches all secured with a dab of diluted PVA. To me, the clove hitch looked the best regardless of being authentic, or not.

...henry

Back