Rigging Vasa, book advice?

Which book(s) are good for rigging the Vasa?
The model I have is the one from Artesania Latina.
Thought of ordering books now that it's black week.
The only rigging book I have is Mastini's Ship Modeling Simplified.
I think I need someone more. :)

They will be publishing a great book soon. It is dedicated to rigging VASA. You can preorder one if it in range with your budget.

Vasa II: Rigging and sailing a Swedish warship of 1628. Part 1. The material remains and archaeological context Hardcover – March 1, 2024​

by Fred Hocker (Editor)

1700752440957.png

Vasa II: Rigging and sailing a Swedish warship of 1628. Part 1. The material remains and archaeological context

However, while I am sure it is an invaluable book, it may be a bit out of budget for many of us. I will tag mon ami Paul @dockattner who builds magnificent models of VASA he might be able to suggest some materials. Please be patient as this week is a national holiday, and his response my delayed.

I think I'll take a walk to the Vasa Museum and buy it. Just going to check if I get a discount as a member of Vasamusei friends.

But I think I need something more model oriented?

I relied heavily on R.C. Anderson The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast 1600-1720. It takes careful reading, but you can pull out the Dutch methodology quite nicely.

Many people prefer Wolfram zu Mondfeld Historic Ship Models but this is really limited to English rigging (and reportedly only does a fair job at that?).

But if you can walk to the museum I would take about a million photos of the 1:10 model and use that as your guide. Dr. Hocker has noted that there are some small errors but it surely wouldn't get you too far from perfect. (Oh, and I don't think the museum is selling Vasa II - at least you can't call there and order a book.)

Here is a belay map created by our forum friend Peter...

And also a line drawing of the ship (that also has some errors but again should be very helpful)...

Attachments

• PeterG Rigging+Deck_Secure_Annotated_Points.pdf
    584.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 7_b rigg rekons.pdf (rigging plan).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
You cant call or email the museum to order but you can buy it at the museum.

Yes, I found RC Anderssons book from a swedish reseller, will order, ca 15 euro.

Of course, the 1/10 model could be helpful when its time to build.
Now I just want to do some armchair modelling. :)

Björn Landström`s book about Vasa is full of rig details. But the knowledge about Dutch rigging have probably increased since the book was published.
Vasa II (have just ordered it) is maybe expensive. But if you have spent many hundred hours to make a perfect model, you shall of course use the best available reference sources.

Have now read some of Vasa II and it is a nice little book. :)
I especially like that there are pictures of all parts (?) of the rig to scale and tables of measurements.
I'm going to check how the parts in my kit match what it looks like in real life. I suspect that I will want to replace quite a few.

Vasa II have 470 pages. 30 pages is about the whipstaff. So the book is really thoroughgoing. It is also richly illustrated. 6 of Vasa`s 10 sail was found on board and offer unique knowledge.

I am still waiting for the postage of my copy of the Vassa II book - hope to get it before christmas :cool:

Back