Rotary dental bits

Sorry for the blurry picture but I think you can see enough. There is a groove running down the center of this molding. I cut it with a scraper. The scroll is about 3/16" dia( about 5 mm i think) I want to continue the groove around the scroll. I tried all the Dremel bits I have and they all seem to be to big or too poor quality to cut a small groove. They are just a cheap assortment of bits. I'm thinking that rotary dental bits may work. At least the blame would be on me :) . I did a search and found some on Ali but they look very similar to the crap that I have. Does someone have a link to where I can get real, quality dental bits that may work for me.

IMG_0233.JPG

Another place to obtain Dental Instruments is at local flea markets. It may take a bit of time as flea markets are an adventure anyways. The Dental Instruments you find will probably be a bit dull, but can easily be sharpened to your needs. Good luck with your search.

Please ask your benefactor the dentist, where he obtains his instruments. The dealer have catalogues with hundrets of dental milling cutters, coated with diamonds or shaped like rasps, sized between 2 and 0,5 mm (the smallest I own). They are professional tools, not second rate!
Karl I.

Please ask your benefactor the dentist, where he obtains his instruments. The dealer have catalogues with hundrets of dental milling cutters, coated with diamonds or shaped like rasps, sized between 2 and 0,5 mm (the smallest I own). They are professional tools, not second rate!
Karl I.
Excellent suggestion Kalliboot. Your dentist may be willing to order some instruments for you. Dentists also discard worn instruments that can be used for hobbies.

kalliboot do you have a link i am also looking at the denta powereddrills. god bless stay safe all don
Hello Don
My dental instruments are from the german firm Meisinger, www.meisinger.de . They have an internet shop, but there will be suppliers for dentists everywhere. BTW brand-new rotary tools are of course very sharp and biting.
I use a KaVo K10 dental machine for my carving. Ebay offers some of them at the moment.
Greetings
Karl Ingwer

Sorry for the blurry picture but I think you can see enough. There is a groove running down the center of this molding. I cut it with a scraper. The scroll is about 3/16" dia( about 5 mm i think) I want to continue the groove around the scroll. I tried all the Dremel bits I have and they all seem to be to big or too poor quality to cut a small groove. They are just a cheap assortment of bits. I'm thinking that rotary dental bits may work. At least the blame would be on me :) . I did a search and found some on Ali but they look very similar to the crap that I have. Does someone have a link to where I can get real, quality dental bits that may work for me.

View attachment 319863
The best places I found to get good quality burrs is Gesswein which is a jewellers tool supply in Toronto or Pfingst which a dental supplier in New Jersey.

Thank you Ed. I'm thinking Gesswein would be the best for me.
Now for the hard question. I'm thinking that the round and bud shaped burs would be my choice but as they are a bit pricey could you give me an idea of which bur you think you use the most, your favorite. It would give me a leg up on my first order. At the moment I would be using it/them for touching up moldings/rails and possibly a little figurehead type carving.
I'm assuming that I can get a 3/32 collet for my Dremel. It may have even come with one that I haven't used.

Find drills...simple. Just google "dental drills for sale" and you will find all kinds available.
Even Amazon has them.

Thank you Ed. I'm thinking Gesswein would be the best for me.
Now for the hard question. I'm thinking that the round and bud shaped burs would be my choice but as they are a bit pricey could you give me an idea of which bur you think you use the most, your favorite. It would give me a leg up on my first order. At the moment I would be using it/them for touching up moldings/rails and possibly a little figurehead type carving.
I'm assuming that I can get a 3/32 collet for my Dremel. It may have even come with one that I haven't used.
Hi Don I actually use a lot of different shapes because I used them for boxwood carvings that I did on my Bellona model. There are several I use all the time in my flexible shaft machine but the ball shape would be the all round mist useful. if you have a 3/32 collet for your dremel they will work just fine. Hold the phone and I'll go down to my workshop and jot down the ones I use most I'll be back in ten minutes Cheers Ed

OK the ones I have that I think would be useful for you would be .07 mm which works out to 28 thou diameter. I also use Pfingst Horico Diamond burs they are 1/16 shaft and are a mounted abrasive .030 diameter and are very useful for cleanup. I use mounted abrasives to smooth things out after using the Busch burs to cut.

Don, as Lalliboot suggests speak with your dentist. As a retired dentist I can tell you dentists will discard burs that are not ant longer sharp enough to cut hard teeth but plenty sharp enough to cut wood or plastic, maybe even some metals. New carbide or diamond burs cost $2 -$10. So it doesn't make sense that a dentist would not use a sharp all the time as as they say "time is money". The burs dentists declared still have some useful life for a model builders. If you ask your dentist I am sure he/she would be happy to save you a few rather than throw them out.

In the US I would try Harbor Freight in the rotary tool section. In Canada, you might try Princess Auto, again the rotary tool dept. I've also sometimes seen them in the tool dept of various Dollar Store Tool Depts. They're all worth a try. Never seen any at flea markets

Back