royal louis from liverpool uk

hi,im a new member .ive been making plastic models for several years but have lately been drawn toward ship modelling ,starting with 1/350 scale pre dreadnoughts. Ihave lately aquired several heller models from the age of sail including the 1/100 victory and le roi soliel..before I tackle those monsters im going to build the sirene and le superbe both 3rd raters in 1/150 and 1/200 scale respectively .although they may be plastic the level of detail on these ships far surpasses some of the wooden kits ive seen,which have badly molded "brass" detail.apparently these badly made Chinese knockoffs are flooding the market,causing falling sales for the reputable manufacturers like billing boats.personally I prefer to work in plastic as I don't have the tools ,the space or the woodworking skills to tackle wooden kits.kudos to those who can,as some of the models ive seen are truly beautiful. im open to all the help I can get especially as the heller instructions which are dreadfull except for the sirene which look very good

Aye, there are some quality plastic kits out there. I'm amazed by the Heller and Trumpeter ranges. I prefer wood though because there's some creativity in the kits - tapering masts, making deck furniture etc., but I must admit I'm not a scratch builder.

Welcome aboard SOS, Royal louis.
It is great to have you with us. We have many different build logs here, including from plastic and cardboards. We have dedicated threads like building from kits. Please spend some time and take a look. You would be surprised of how much information you will find there. You can post your questions and I am sure , you will get answers... But..., if you start your own build log, you will attract many of our readers, who possible can learn from you or...there is a chance you will learn from them.

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome to the forum.I have built many of the smaller Heller ships as a kid and have the 1/100 Soleil Royal in my stash.I also have the Scaledecks wooden decking overlay for her.These really are a thing of beauty and feature different shades of individual planks,quite different to the normal wooden deck overlay.

Kind Regards

Nigel

@Brian077 There are many good and not so good kits from everywhere and different manufactures.

Yes I agreed build a Mamoli kit design and produce in the 1980 and we will have a talkSpeechless

As for plastic ship now there are fantastic model on the market some better then other and now the availability of PE the work involve can surpass the construction of a wood model

Not sure your comments about Chinese kits would go down well here.
yes ,I take on board what you are saying .for what its worth plastic manufacturers like hobbyboss and trumpeter meng etc are probably the best in the world,but at the other end of the scale there is some rubbish too.i probably overstated the case though for which I apologise to anyone who took offence.

yes ,I take on board what you are saying .for what its worth plastic manufacturers like hobbyboss and trumpeter meng etc are probably the best in the world,but at the other end of the scale there is some rubbish too.i probably overstated the case though for which I apologise to anyone who took offence.
Isn’t Trumpeter one the biggest player today?I like their 1:200 scale line

Welcome to the forum.I have built many of the smaller Heller ships as a kid and have the 1/100 Soleil Royal in my stash.I also have the Scaledecks wooden decking overlay for her.These really are a thing of beauty and feature different shades of individual planks,quite different to the normal wooden deck overlay.

Kind Regards

Nigel
yes ive been debating whether to buy this but the price is a bit steep for my anaemic wallet .I might order some replacement guns if I can find any that are better than those supplied .the ones in the kit look good but cleaning up 112 mould seams is daunting.i have ordered wooden blocks and deadeyes

hi,im a new member .ive been making plastic models for several years but have lately been drawn toward ship modelling ,starting with 1/350 scale pre dreadnoughts. Ihave lately aquired several heller models from the age of sail including the 1/100 victory and le roi soliel..before I tackle those monsters im going to build the sirene and le superbe both 3rd raters in 1/150 and 1/200 scale respectively .although they may be plastic the level of detail on these ships far surpasses some of the wooden kits ive seen,which have badly molded "brass" detail.apparently these badly made Chinese knockoffs are flooding the market,causing falling sales for the reputable manufacturers like billing boats.personally I prefer to work in plastic as I don't have the tools ,the space or the woodworking skills to tackle wooden kits.kudos to those who can,as some of the models ive seen are truly beautiful. im open to all the help I can get especially as the heller instructions which are dreadfull except for the sirene which look very good
Hallo @royal louis ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back