Running rigging, plans and what am I missing?

I have purchased many books on model ship building but I can not find the information I think I am looking for. When I study plans for my model, there are drawings for the running rigging but I find it very hard to determine what kind of block I should be using. I can sort of figure it out by looking at the drawing, if it has multi lines indicated, but, is there a better way to determine what block I should use? What am I not seeing? Is there something I need to discover and learn? I am talking about running rigging for a model with out sails. I am working with the "Scientific Co." plans for the CW MORGAN. Granted not too advanced or high tech, but still fun for me. Is there a symbol key that might be on more sophisticated drawings? I use Historic Ship Models by W. zu Mondfeld for much of the info I need.
Thanks guys-
Mike Toole
in PA

Mike,

There are several different types and sizes of blocks for running rigging, mostly depending on how many times a rope goes thru the block, as single block only has same line go thru once, where a double block the line loops thru another block and back thru the original a second time to give more leverage on the pull.

The other main factor is how is block attached on holding end, or to what is it attached to, as tied to a mast, or at end of short line attached to end of spar.

I have the CW Morgan from ME and I think it has good plans with the rigging. I know you can order the ME plans for about $22 online.

Mike,

There are several different types and sizes of blocks for running rigging, mostly depending on how many times a rope goes thru the block, as single block only has same line go thru once, where a double block the line loops thru another block and back thru the original a second time to give more leverage on the pull.

The other main factor is how is block attached on holding end, or to what is it attached to, as tied to a mast, or at end of short line attached to end of spar.

I have the CW Morgan from ME and I think it has good plans with the rigging. I know you can order the ME plans for about $22 online.
I think I have that set, I will dig them out and take a good, long, hard look! Thanks!
Mike Toole

I’ve found that some kit manufacturers offer pretty good rigging details while with others you‘re on you own, so to speak. Two books that I have found invaluable (and you may already have them) are Lennarth Petersson’s books “Rigging: Period Ship Models” and “Rigging: Period Fore-and-Aft Crafts”. Another that I reference often is George Biddlecome’s “The Art of Rigging”.

I have most of those books, but to paraphrase you: "Your books are like a parachute, they only works when opened."

I need to spend more time reading them on what I am rigging.

You mentioned
"I am talking about running rigging for a model with out sails."

If you plan to rig without sails, then some of the running rigging (blocks) are taken down for storage and usually, the ship is either not at sea or dry docked. Now there are blocks that are part of the running rigging that will stay like the Bunt lines, and so forth. I would have to go back and research this as I built my San Felipe without sails. Now, all fureled sails will have all the running rigging as the sails are only hoisted up.
I am not sure that this is all the info that you are looking for, but that one sentence caught my eye.

The size of a block can often be determined by the size of the rope or thread being used for the running line. Small lines…smaller blocks (applies to single, double, triple blocks). Large lines…larger blocks. Try to discern the relative size of the line being run from the plan sheet. The size of the line can sometimes be estimated by what it is being tasked to do. Running lines on lower, thus larger, spars, for example, are tasked to do heavier work and are thus larger diameter lines…larger size blocks. Lines running from smaller top mast spars are smaller, thus lighter lines. Just some ideas to try to estimate block sizes in the absence of other information…lower larger…higher smaller…

Reactions: J B
I've built the Charles B Morgan Scientific Model without sails.. I too purchased the Model Shipways plans and found them helpful. Without sails, and because of the small scale,I only rigged halyards, hauls, clews, lifts and braces. I found 2mm single blocks, 3mm double blocks. And I also obtained 2mm deadeyes to replace the moulded channels. (lacing those deadeyes was really finicky.) My rigging line, both standing and running) was the thread used to tie flys. I've attached some photos of my Morgan. They are a little hard to detect the lines, but they may be semi-helpful. Sorry about all the dust on the line - I never got around to building a case.

Aft.PNG

Prow.PNG

Sticks.PNG

Thanks guys, all is slowly becoming clearer. I appreciate the advice!

MartinJel-great photos ! Informative and inspirational, thanks! I enjoy seeing the old kits as they should be.

Mike

I have purchased many books on model ship building but I can not find the information I think I am looking for. When I study plans for my model, there are drawings for the running rigging but I find it very hard to determine what kind of block I should be using. I can sort of figure it out by looking at the drawing, if it has multi lines indicated, but, is there a better way to determine what block I should use? What am I not seeing? Is there something I need to discover and learn? I am talking about running rigging for a model with out sails. I am working with the "Scientific Co." plans for the CW MORGAN. Granted not too advanced or high tech, but still fun for me. Is there a symbol key that might be on more sophisticated drawings? I use Historic Ship Models by W. zu Mondfeld for much of the info I need.
Thanks guys-
Mike Toole
in PA
Hallo @Michael T
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back