Russian Central Naval Museum (Saint Petersburg, March 2019)

Hello folks!

I just found this sub-forum and thought I would share an album of photos I took during a long afternoon visit to the fabulous Russian Central Naval Museum in Saint Petersburg last year. My interest in warships only extends up to the Russo-Japanese War of 1904, so my photographic journey ended rather abruptly when I got to the end of that part of the collection. I shared this album in my introductory post last year but there is no reason to search for it there, so posting it here for research and entertainment purposes makes more sense. Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited:
Many Thanks for sharing these photos - seems really worth for one or two visits.....

Hello folks!re

I just found this sub-forum and thought I would share an album of photos I took during a long afternoon visit to the fabulous Russian Central Naval Museum in Saint Petersburg last year. My interest in warships only extends up to the Russo-Japanese War of 1904, so my photographic journey ended rather abruptly when I got to the end of that part of the collection. I shared this album in my introductory post last year but there is no reason to search for it there, so posting it here for research and entertainment purposes makes more sense. Cheers!

-Gregory

Thank you for posting these pictures! My wife and I were schedule to go to St. Petersburg at the end of May until sadly the trip was cancelled due to the pandemic. Two of the sites I was looking forward to visiting were the Hermitage [...of course] and the RCNM.

Thank you for posting these pictures! My wife and I were schedule to go to St. Petersburg at the end of May until sadly the trip was cancelled due to the pandemic. Two of the sites I was looking forward to visiting were the Hermitage [...of course] and the RCNM.

The former goes without saying, of course, but both are highly recommended! The model ship collection in the RCNM supposedly rivals the best in the world, though I've only been to the Chilean National Maritime Museum in Valparaiso and the Dubrovnik maritime museum, and of course those were both modest by way of comparison. I have another collection of photos from the museum in Chile that I'll be posting soon, but sadly I visited Dubrovnik before I had any great interest in maritime history, and took few photos.

My wife is from Moscow, so I've been fortunate enough to spend more than an accumulated two months in Russia during the past few years. I cannot recommend Saint Petersburg highly enough, as it is an astounding city. The sheer volume of intact and restored classical architecture makes Vienna look paltry! Do go when you get a chance again!

-Gregory

The former goes without saying, of course, but both are highly recommended! The model ship collection in the RCNM supposedly rivals the best in the world, though I've only been to the Chilean National Maritime Museum in Valparaiso and the Dubrovnik maritime museum, and of course those were both modest by way of comparison. I have another collection of photos from the museum in Chile that I'll be posting soon, but sadly I visited Dubrovnik before I had any great interest in maritime history, and took few photos.

My wife is from Moscow, so I've been fortunate enough to spend more than an accumulated two months in Russia during the past few years. I cannot recommend Saint Petersburg highly enough, as it is an astounding city. The sheer volume of intact and restored classical architecture makes Vienna look paltry! Do go when you get a chance again!

-Gregory
We plan to reschedule the trip when the world returns to "somewhat more normal". The museums I've visited which have notable ship model collections include. The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England [my wife is from the UK], the Mariners Museum and Park in Newport News, VA, and the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. All wonderful collections.

Hello folks!

-Gregory

Fantastic pictures. I really enjoyed St. Petersburg when I was there several years ago. Unfortunately I didn’t know about the Naval museum would have liked to see it.

Hello Kilroy ; your photos remind me a very good "souvenir" of my visit at this museum, with its rostral columns at the entrance.

I particularly remembered (among so many other models) a Russian speedboat (Schnellboot) which armament was simply an armored tank turret ... and I thought that Russian naval engineers were very smart and clever !

Did you remark the motto of this museum at the entrance ?

Поговорка всех судостроителей : мастерство не пропьёшь Exclamation-Mark

just translated these words via google:

Поговорка всех судостроителей : мастерство не пропьёшь

The saying of all shipbuilders: skill is not spent on drink

Hi Uwek, This is (russian) humour ; and the automatic Google translation is not correct because this is a colloquial sentence nearly impossible to translate !

A better translation would be :

<< A (russian) ship model maker proverb : Even drunk, a skilled ship model maker REMAINS a skilled ship model maker ! >>

;)

Who knows if Leonardo da Vinci or Michaelo Angelo or Gauguin or Van Gogh were not more or less drunk sometimes ?

Last edited:
Back