S.S.V. Makani Olu and Tole Mour

I hope this is the appropriate place for this post, just two sailing ships that I have personal experience with.

When I first moved to Hawaii in 2000 I went to work for The Marimed Foundation as their IT Director. At the time, they were operating the S.S.V. Makani Olu as part of their program of providing residential treatment for boys who were considered "at risk". As part of the program, they would sail around to the other islands on this ship, learning how to work together as a team, discipline, that type of stuff. Very interesting program.

State funding for the program dried up in 2006 so now they operate as a training vessel for maritime schools.

Marimed Foundation and Makani Olu

The other ship is the Tole Mour. That was the original ship built by the founders of the Marimed Foundation and used to provide medical services to people in the Marshall Islands. Once that contract with the Marshall Islands ran out, they started the program for the at risk kids here in Hawaii. It was too big for that, so they had Makani Olu built and sold Tole Mour.

Tole Mour

My name ToleOlu is a mashup of those two ships.

Charles

Back