S V Echo

Here is my latest almost the finishing stage.
S V Echo-1905 > 2014​
Built north of Auckland New Zealand 1905 by W Brown and Son’s in a small boatyard up the by Te Kopuru a small village. She was triple planked in Kauri a native hard wood 104.3 feet long and 25.5 feet beam flat bottom with a schooner bow. Also fitted with a 20 HP oil engine on the starboard side, to assist with river navigation. She moved mostly under sail. Her long and varied life was moving cargo to small coastal ports around NZ and had lots of mishaps like grounding on crossing various river bar’s. Her claim to fame is her WW 2 service in the American army around the Pacific Islands of which a movie was made “The Wackiest Ship in the Navy”. The Echo continued to serve the cargo trad up to around 1962 when she was overtaken by our interisland ferries, she then moved around various owners and jobs until she was placed on the hard and turned into a café until her demise due to high maintenance and sadly she is no more.
The model info scale = 1/150 8.34inches long she is a scratch build and completely hand built.
Build time about 4 months
S V Echo 1.JPGS V Echo 2.JPGS V Echo 3.JPG

Very nice model. Extremely unusual gaff topsail on the foremast, I have never seen a double gaff on so small a ship. When I first visited Australia in the early 60s, there were a number of small sailing ships like this on the coast -
Bob

Hi Bob, it's been a long time since we last crossed path's Re the Echo you are quite right but I have the images showing the rigg and looking at other boats they were similar. I also love the size of the one engine at 20hp she was fitted with two engines during WW2 by the Americans (petrol) later changed to diesel. Have a few more ships coming soon. I think there were about 300 + around our coast and sadly all gone now.

Here is my latest almost the finishing stage.
S V Echo-1905 > 2014​
Built north of Auckland New Zealand 1905 by W Brown and Son’s in a small boatyard up the by Te Kopuru a small village. She was triple planked in Kauri a native hard wood 104.3 feet long and 25.5 feet beam flat bottom with a schooner bow. Also fitted with a 20 HP oil engine on the starboard side, to assist with river navigation. She moved mostly under sail. Her long and varied life was moving cargo to small coastal ports around NZ and had lots of mishaps like grounding on crossing various river bar’s. Her claim to fame is her WW 2 service in the American army around the Pacific Islands of which a movie was made “The Wackiest Ship in the Navy”. The Echo continued to serve the cargo trad up to around 1962 when she was overtaken by our interisland ferries, she then moved around various owners and jobs until she was placed on the hard and turned into a café until her demise due to high maintenance and sadly she is no more.
The model info scale = 1/150 8.34inches long she is a scratch build and completely hand built.
Build time about 4 months
View attachment 115980View attachment 115982View attachment 115983
Very interesting ship / boat and well built model - many thanks for sharing with us

Back