Sail cloth

Hello all
I'm a new member and this is the first time I have ever posted on any site. I've been building ships since a kid and then of course life gets in the way. Been back at it sporadically in the past 30 years and built Mantua Victory, sovereign, and San Filipe.
Mamoli. Constitution
Corel. Prins Willem
I'm soon going to start on Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm. I noticed that there is only enough cloth in the kit for half the sails. I'm not sure it's the cloth that I want to use anyway. What would anyone recommend and what is a good place to get it. The scale is 1.48
I emailed the help line at Euromodel but after 3 weeks have no reply. Is this typical for them.
I will send some pics of my past efforts
Thanks
Bill

Related to sail making, it is important to see, which function the sails have, not at the original, this is clear, but for the model.
The last link Zoltan shared is a very good explanation for sails of a working RC-model. On the other hand, for a pure static model most important is, that they are looking authentic in the correct scale. so the fabric / cloth should have a very fine texture and the stitches as small as possible.

What I forgot to tell. Some modeler are using paper tissues stiffened with white wood glue or also silk paper.

This is a model of a friend of mine with sails made out of silk paper

4-16-DSCN4635.JPG

5-509_DSCN4698.JPG

Last edited:
Back