Sailing Ship Construction Video

The construction of the model of the barque Gulf Stream is now being produced in the form of a printed book of 102 pages, 25,608 words and 240 images, including deck and sail plans. The manuscript is in the hands of the printers, and yesterday they advised me that they had printed it, and were in the process of cutting and separating the pages. The books will be completed within the next few days - It will be coil-bound so that it opens flat or can even turned inside out for ease of use as reference when building the model.
Bob

Front Cover scan (Large).jpg

I have just recieved my copy through the post .
The quality of the instructions , photos and paper it is printed on are first class ! I have yet to build my first ship and not sure how successful I will be . However just reading the detailed description with good stage photos of the build of ‘ Gulf Stream ‘ is an education in itself . I really appreciate the scaled up plans ( 25 feet to 1 inch ) included separately as this is the size I would want to build to .

Thanks and I will really enjoy reading

Thank you for you kind words. The enclosed plans are at the scale I built the model to. The book is trickling out and now there are less than 20 left. As I said, chose the coil binding so it could open out flat, and this seems to be much appeciated. It also makes it easier to copy pages, should the need arise. I believe that my methods greatly simplify model shipbuilding, although a lot of modellers frown on my special techniques that seem rather primitive. This one showing the formation of the sheer, for instance - simple, but effective2 (Medium).JPG!
Bob

I have now added a soundtrack to the video, and it has greatly improved it. This type of model shipbuilding is far from "elite," and comes more into the class of "Bush League," on account of some of the rather crude building methods that I developed in order to produce good models very quickly. This was because I have very little patience, and like to get things up and running within the first couple of days, with completion targets within weeks rather than months or years. Building costs are minimal, and only a few tools are required.
Bob

Back