Sailing ships for a model railway

At last I have the two ships finished and enclose some photos. I made a bi-folding hatch for the open hatchway on Cyclops, it at least seems feasible and some decoration for the prow of the Stephen Hey. I have temporalily fitted the much too small ships wheel as the larger one I ordered seems to have been lost in the post.
I used the original Scottish Maid anchors on the Cyclops and the Achilles anchors on the Stephen Hey. As I said earlier a little freelancing has been employed on both ships as I aimed to produce typical sailing ships of the early Edwardian period not exact replicas. I made some acanthus scroll decoration on the prow of the Stephen Hey from soldered up copper wire. Generally speaking I found the kits to be all fur coat and no knickers with glossy art work on the lids and only a few cents worth of materials within. Most of the parts were only fit for the bin and Scrooge must have packed the parts not even enough rigging cord was included and only just enough bits were included even though those bits had virtually no value.
However the ships are done and I dont think I did so bad for a first and probably only attempt at this kind of modelling although I may try some small open cobles also to 1/43 scale later if I live long enough.

Thank you all for your appreciation Doug Hey
You have done very well with these fine looking ships. Well rigged and detailed. Rich (PT-2)

Do I fine Molly Malone the fish monger here along the ways? Nice socialization though. Rich
Your railway passing the harbor piers is a work that can be enjoyed around every turn of the rails. It will an attraction to railway fans and visitors alike to the time and details that you have and are completing. First Place MetalRich (PT-2)
First Place Metal

And I can smell the fish ....... really nice harbour szene - your ship models are looking very good

Hi, This is my first posting on ships of scale,
I am on with the construction of two sailing ships for an O gauge model railway, they are to be waterline models to sit in Whitby harbour in Edwardian times about 1905, the smaller of the two is almost completed and is an old Achilles model kit from Sergal and is to the correct 1/43 scale. I have not built it to be an exact model of Achilles which was an American pilot vessel which would have no place at Whitby UK but it was just about the only model I could find at the time which was 1/43 scale. It is basically as the designed kit but with a few freelance features and is named Cyclops. The Sergal kit is I find of good qualty and has gone together well, the hull was built full hull then cut to waterline on a bandsaw and a soleplate added underneath.
I also wanted a larger vessel and could not find anything really suitable, the nearest I could find being an Artisima Latina Scottish Maid which was to 1/50 scale. As I prepared to start this kit I decided to upscale it to 1/43 scale so photocopied the hull parts to 1/43 scale and intended to make it waterline right from the start building it on a soleplate after cutting new bulkheads etc.. Again I intended no slavish model of Scottish Maid and freelanced a little intending not to build a clipper bow but in fact kept the clipper bow and altered the stern to provide a flat area for a nameplate. The name is Stephen Hey after my father. I have the masts up and am at the spars, booms and rigging stage. All the supplied fittings are too small so larger ones have been obtained. The quality of the Artisima Latina kit left a lot to be desired anyway but I have used the strip wood material which was adequte the quantity being suficient due to it only being a waterline hull.
I have never built wooden ships before so I lack accurate knowledge of of rigging methods and knots and rope tying, however things are looking good up to now and progress is rapid, I have freelanced some acanthus scroll decoration at the bow instead of a figurehead and simple decoration at the stern. The only puzzling thing up to now is with the Achilles kit. There is a companionway entrance to the cabin which doesnt have any form of hatch cover which doesnt seem right to me so any suggestions are welcome.
I attach some photos showing progress so far and the harbour where they are to be used.

Doug Hey
Hallo @Heroiclegs
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your harbour project going?

Hi, This is my first posting on ships of scale,
I am on with the construction of two sailing ships for an O gauge model railway, they are to be waterline models to sit in Whitby harbour in Edwardian times about 1905, the smaller of the two is almost completed and is an old Achilles model kit from Sergal and is to the correct 1/43 scale. I have not built it to be an exact model of Achilles which was an American pilot vessel which would have no place at Whitby UK but it was just about the only model I could find at the time which was 1/43 scale. It is basically as the designed kit but with a few freelance features and is named Cyclops. The Sergal kit is I find of good qualty and has gone together well, the hull was built full hull then cut to waterline on a bandsaw and a soleplate added underneath.
I also wanted a larger vessel and could not find anything really suitable, the nearest I could find being an Artisima Latina Scottish Maid which was to 1/50 scale. As I prepared to start this kit I decided to upscale it to 1/43 scale so photocopied the hull parts to 1/43 scale and intended to make it waterline right from the start building it on a soleplate after cutting new bulkheads etc.. Again I intended no slavish model of Scottish Maid and freelanced a little intending not to build a clipper bow but in fact kept the clipper bow and altered the stern to provide a flat area for a nameplate. The name is Stephen Hey after my father. I have the masts up and am at the spars, booms and rigging stage. All the supplied fittings are too small so larger ones have been obtained. The quality of the Artisima Latina kit left a lot to be desired anyway but I have used the strip wood material which was adequte the quantity being suficient due to it only being a waterline hull.
I have never built wooden ships before so I lack accurate knowledge of of rigging methods and knots and rope tying, however things are looking good up to now and progress is rapid, I have freelanced some acanthus scroll decoration at the bow instead of a figurehead and simple decoration at the stern. The only puzzling thing up to now is with the Achilles kit. There is a companionway entrance to the cabin which doesnt have any form of hatch cover which doesnt seem right to me so any suggestions are welcome.
I attach some photos showing progress so far and the harbour where they are to be used.

Doug Hey

View attachment 269403View attachment 269404View attachment 269405View attachment 269406View attachment 269407View attachment 269408View attachment 269409
Hallo @Heroiclegs
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

As requested by UWEK here is an update on my Whitby harbour scene.

Most of my modelling work is the making of rolling stock but I did add some harbourside details as shown in photo's mainly a herring gutting and packing scene and transportation of fish barrels by rail. No cobles as yet.christmas 2.JPGchristmas 3.JPGchristmas 4.JPGDSCF4302.JPGDSCF4275.JPG

DSCF4294.JPG

Back