San Felipe (ZHL) 1:50

Hello, please can somebody help me? This file is getting longer and longer because i only know to reply the posts. Should ik make new threads every time if i want to post more? How can i make different sites?
Thanks for helping!!
Hi,you don’t have to make new threads,just continue this otherwise we are going to have hundreds of San Felipe threads,you are doing st the right way,just continue this one ,this is your log.

Hallo Manfred,

many thanks for showing us the content and the quality of the kit in detail - it is getting a really interesting building log

Hello, from España.
I follw your construction, since I have this same kit and you'll be of great help to build mine.

Hallo and welcome on board of our forum!

I think it would be also a good idea, if you start also a building log here in SOS - with this you have the possibility to show your work and assistance and help (if necessary and requested by yourself) would be much easier

Hallo and GOOOOd Morning Manfred.

We wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY Birthday-Cake

Enjoy the day in Amsterdam or where ever you celebrate your special day

Hello members. Today a little update:
I cleaned the remaining decoration parts from unnecessary plastic, finished the first layer planking, glued the deck skin and cut out some little parts like canon movers and steps. Today i wil start sanding.

IMG_0906.jpgIMG_0905.jpgIMG_0897.jpgIMG_0898.jpgIMG_0899.jpgIMG_0900.jpgIMG_0901.jpgIMG_0902.jpgIMG_0903.jpgIMG_0904.jpg

Hello Manfred. I am seeing nice progress, not to mention an accurate build. I am impressed with planking the hall and desk. Can you tell us what technology used to aging (weathering) the deck? It looks fantastic.

Hallo Jim. I wil explain what happened on the pictures from yesterday:
The stern and the deck in the front and back are varnished. Some parts in the middle of the ship are sanded and not finished. That could be explain the weathering. But there is more: The planking for the decks i got in the kid looked like this:

IMG_0908.jpg

I don't know what these stains are. Even when i sanded the planking, they won't disappear:

IMG_0909.jpg

I sanded the hole deck and it looks like this:

IMG_0910.jpg:

IMG_0911.jpg

Now look at the difference between only sanded planks and varnished planks from the deck:

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

I think when i varnished the deck completely that there will be no "weathering" any more. Unfortunately!

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Manfred. The deck looks great after varnishing. You may try steel-wool 0001 grit to make the weathering (aging) effect.

Hello members,

today a little update:

For the hull there is only enough wood to plank to the waterline but i want to plank the hole ship. So i ordered mahogany wood (will be delivered in 5 weeks). After all i didn't like the planking (deck) you can see at the foto's i took before. So i planked the deck again with the wood for the hull. Also i made the handrails and the stairs.
IMG_0953.jpgIMG_0954.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_0956.jpgIMG_0957.jpgIMG_0958.jpgIMG_0959.jpgIMG_0960.jpg

Hello members.
I want to thank everybody for watching and especially for the great compliments! I wrote earlier that this is the second ship i build. ( i tried the Cutty Sark from Billing Boats but didn't finished it ). By building the San Felipe i often don't know what the instructions mean. "Use walnut strip 1x1mm..." but no walnut strips 1x1mm are available and so i improvise. Or the proportion of the stairs in relationship to the doors are not good. Too big i think. (look at the picture). Also the grids i built, i don't like them because they are to dark and so i ordered white ones. What i want to say is that i don't follow the instructions carefully and want to build the ship as i like. So i don't call it "San Felipe" anymore but "San ManFred;)". For watchers who want to see the (perfect) building of the San Felipe i refer to the log from Donnie. Also Pat 71 has good ideas. ( Hi Pat, are you a dutchman too? Groeten uit Amsterdam)
Because i'm still waiting for the ordered wood for planking i build a little bit here and a little bit there.
IMG_0964.jpgIMG_0965.jpgIMG_0966.jpgIMG_0967.jpgIMG_0968.jpgIMG_0972.jpg
Greetings from Amsterdam,
ManFred

Last edited:
Back