San Francisco Cross Section by Artesania Latina 1/50

Ok, let's start with this first project
Well I have decided to start my first registration with my first project. As some of you already know, a friend has given me several kits and among them are the three valued to start in this hobby. The other is "The Terror", but this would be for the future
The premises for me are these
- I am not in a hurry
- To have fun...
- Learn as much as possible
- To share all my mistakes and learn from those who want and have time to help me in my progress.
- Not to lose heart and to reach the end...
After studying and reviewing three options, three above all, La Providence de (AL) , San Francisco Cross Section (AL) and the San Juan (OcCre).

I have had a lot of fun searching for records on the forum, and have discovered other great records to follow and learn things from.
It has also been a lot of fun looking for information about the three models on the internet, both technical and historical, my intention is not to make a model only, is to learn its history and have fun, it has been exciting.

That said, I have decided to try the San Francisco Cross Section of AL, for these reasons:

- I like this model
- I consider it accessible to my skills and I think I can take it to the end, it does not seem excessively complicated for me, at least not to complete the entire section of the hull, the rigging or ropes, is a subject that I will address with more study.
- It will help me to evaluate my skills working with scale objects and develop them and learn.

The Galleon was built near my homeland, in Cantabria in the year 1586, this has pleased me very much to know.
Its history, although short, only sailed 23 years, in 1609 it was shipwrecked off the Japanese coast, has fascinated me. It seems that this event was the origin of the diplomatic relationship between Spain and Japan. In 2017 a cannonball was found at a depth of about 40 meters at the site of its sinking and seems to have been attributed to it. Investigations continue.

I have found several compilation logs, most of them unfinished (don't put your hand in the fire for mine), but I think I'll take ideas mainly from this one from @Osmosis in other forum, Model Ship world and @Jeff T in this forum

also from several others that it would be impossible to list

That said, I have opened the kit, everything seems to be fine, I have checked the pieces and it seems that they are all correctly cut and that nothing is missing, I say this from my inexperience, of course, but I have checked everything well.
I will try to document at least once a week what I am doing and ask for advice when I need it.

Sorry for writing so much, but I wanted to start with a good explanation of why I'm here to start and to set some goals, also will help me, when the discouragement comes, to read this first post and get renewed encouragement.

I hope not to disappoint if someone decides to follow my progress and help me in my first adventure.

The first thing I have done these days has been to prepare a comfortable corner that I consider suitable for working. Beside me the radio for relaxing music.

1.jpg

Review of the San Francisco Cross Section Kit that I am going to try to make

1 San Francisco Seccion-1.jpg
in the next post I hope to put already my first advances

PS sorry for my English, I use a translator sometimes, it is not too fluent.

I'm going to put my first steps, today I had time to work on it.
I have decided to build it deck by deck, as @Osmosis indicates in his compilation and @Jeff T, I think it is easier to work on the smaller and difficult to access.

After cutting the pieces and adjust them a little with sandpaper I proceeded to glue the strips, one by one, with about 20 minutes of time between one and another for proper drying, I have tried to put them well squared and in the end the goal was achieved, it looked like this:

5-1.jpg

6-2.jpg

8-4.jpg

9-5.jpg

11-7.jpg

10-6.jpg

I noticed this small break in one of the strips, something I will address later, I am thinking about how to protect these fragile tips while I work.

7-3.jpg

I checked with a ruler the assembly of the three decks, on the second one I have a problem to solve, when the time comes, two of the strakes have a small gap that I have to fill, one on each side of the model, the third one on the starboard side and the second one on the port side, it looks like in the pictures, I have to fix it when I get to this step.

12-4.jpg

13-3.jpg

Checked that the first deck is well seated, I think I will put the boards before putting it as @Osmosis does in its compilation and not as indicated in the kit.

14-2.jpg

15-1.jpg

16-5.jpg

thanks for passing by and taking a look

I have opted for this solution, two rigid cardboard, I do not remember where I saw something similar, Edit on 21/03/2021: I found where I saw it, in another English-speaking forum, Ships of Scale, the author of the compilation is JeffT and he uses this system, joined by masking tape (so we call it in Spain), is an adhesive paper tape that is used when you paint to mark the areas you do not want to paint putting this tape, I think it can serve, although you must follow with caution, are fragile.

17-5.jpg

18-5.jpg

A small update, today I have worked the floor below, I have placed all the boards and after a sanding I have made the marks for the nails and the division between one and other boards, then settled in place, glued and waiting for tomorrow to finish adjusting it as perfect as possible.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

I'm not sure if I will like it tomorrow when I see it again, today I leave it like this, but maybe I can change the nail and plank marks, I don't know for sure....

Thanks for seeing it and giving your opinion

this afternoon I hope to have time to post new developments

thanks for passing by and watching

a small update and some ideas

after placing the lower deck, I drilled and made a "presentation" of what would be the lashings for the cargo in this hold, then I removed them, I am not sure whether to put them or not, in the photos of the kit I don't see them, but having the perfforations, it will be useful if I decide to add them at any time.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Then I started with the first hull plating until I reached the area where the second deck would start.

some battens have not been well and I will have to solve it, I suppose that sanding and applying a little putty, in spite of putting a lot of interest, some of them have come unstuck on the strakes that now are inaccessible, I can only opt for the solution of unstuck them and do it again, is the one I value more, or do it with putty and sandpaper, that I do not like so much, I have to think about it.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

I have decided to make the "walls" (I don't know the real name) of the deck that go between the strips in an external way, measuring up to the beginning of the second cover, I have made a template to try, it is not the definitive one, but I have liked this way of doing it and I think it will be the one I will use.

29.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

Finally I have made a test with the varnish on some strips of board marked as if they were the deck with the nails, the right one is walnut, the middle one is oak and the one on the left, without importance, is to test a colourless varnish that they offered me in the shop, nothing more. The two to decide are the oak and the walnut, I think I will use the oak tone, the boat was made in Cantabria, North of Spain and it is very common to use this wood there, I like the tone more.

28.jpg

I hope to continue the work and improve these bugs for the next update.

thanks for watching and, if you feel like it, giving me advice.

Last edited:
Ok, let's start with this first project
Well I have decided to start my first registration with my first project. As some of you already know, a friend has given me several kits and among them are the three valued to start in this hobby. The other is "The Terror", but this would be for the future
The premises for me are these
- I am not in a hurry
- To have fun...
- Learn as much as possible
- To share all my mistakes and learn from those who want and have time to help me in my progress.
- Not to lose heart and to reach the end...
After studying and reviewing three options, three above all, La Providence de (AL) , San Francisco Cross Section (AL) and the San Juan (OcCre).

I have had a lot of fun searching for records on the forum, and have discovered other great records to follow and learn things from.
It has also been a lot of fun looking for information about the three models on the internet, both technical and historical, my intention is not to make a model only, is to learn its history and have fun, it has been exciting.

That said, I have decided to try the San Francisco Cross Section of AL, for these reasons:

- I like this model
- I consider it accessible to my skills and I think I can take it to the end, it does not seem excessively complicated for me, at least not to complete the entire section of the hull, the rigging or ropes, is a subject that I will address with more study.
- It will help me to evaluate my skills working with scale objects and develop them and learn.

The Galleon was built near my homeland, in Cantabria in the year 1586, this has pleased me very much to know.
Its history, although short, only sailed 23 years, in 1609 it was shipwrecked off the Japanese coast, has fascinated me. It seems that this event was the origin of the diplomatic relationship between Spain and Japan. In 2017 a cannonball was found at a depth of about 40 meters at the site of its sinking and seems to have been attributed to it. Investigations continue.

I have found several compilation logs, most of them unfinished (don't put your hand in the fire for mine), but I think I'll take ideas mainly from this one from @Osmosis in other forum, Model Ship world and @Jeff T in this forum

also from several others that it would be impossible to list

That said, I have opened the kit, everything seems to be fine, I have checked the pieces and it seems that they are all correctly cut and that nothing is missing, I say this from my inexperience, of course, but I have checked everything well.
I will try to document at least once a week what I am doing and ask for advice when I need it.

Sorry for writing so much, but I wanted to start with a good explanation of why I'm here to start and to set some goals, also will help me, when the discouragement comes, to read this first post and get renewed encouragement.

I hope not to disappoint if someone decides to follow my progress and help me in my first adventure.

The first thing I have done these days has been to prepare a comfortable corner that I consider suitable for working. Beside me the radio for relaxing music.

View attachment 222186

Review of the San Francisco Cross Section Kit that I am going to try to make

View attachment 222187
in the next post I hope to put already my first advances

PS sorry for my English, I use a translator sometimes, it is not too fluent.
Hallo Gus alias @Gixli
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the cross section going? Are you still working on her?

Hola, parece que este hilo se ha roto. Una pena, pues me estaba gustando.
Hello, it seems that this thread has been broken. It's pity, because I was liking it.

Hola, parece que este hilo se ha roto. Una pena, pues me estaba gustando.
Hello, it seems that this thread has been broken. It's pity, because I was liking it.
Unfortunately @Gixli did not publish any progress after some time.......

Back