Santa Maria M 1:50

Hello Piter56,
I just found your log and the craftsmanship of the Santa Maria is beautiful. I too want to build her in the future along with la Pinta and la Niña. Bravo to you Sir. I look forward to your next post.

Ray

Congratulations for your model. That model is based on the study (and plans) made by Rafael Monleon, which was directed by the official commission to commemorate the fourth centenary of the discovery of America. The model that was made at that time (year 1892) is now in the Naval Museum of Madrid. I attach a photo.
In Spain, the architecture of Santa María is the subject of controversy. There have been many subsequent studies but the truth is that they are all conjectural, since it is not known how the ship really was.
What is undoubted is that the model of Monleón is the most beautiful and artistically superior to all. This study also served to build a replica of life size that repeated (sailing and without motor) Columbus's trip to America. No longer exists.
This Santa Maria is not really a caravel, it is a "nao" and possibly of a larger size than the real one, but there is no certainty of the latter.
I repeat, congratulations, it's a fantastic model

santa maria monleon.jpg

Wery accurately build, Piter! I guess your own a CNC machine, so the bulkheads ( шпангоуты, Russian) was cut using laser cutter? Also, what wood did you use for hull planking?

Back