Santa Maria - Mantua - scale 1:50 modified kit semi scratch and diorama

Thanks Jos,I am looking foreword how this plays out,I am cutting wood today.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!!

I made some progress with the ship’s slip way,hard to get the right angle and elevation with so many layers of wood slabs.

4A05D338-C265-4FCE-A68B-8DF2F9657B70.jpeg7CFDCA96-43E3-45B5-AD7E-67056379DD5B.jpeg4C70B5A4-7BD9-4EA0-9298-A2EC64060E75.jpeg
E2B0F786-4201-416A-8312-B138E9EC84D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Zoltan. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. As you know, I finished my armed pinnace up as a diorama and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. I think that with a diorama it is almost like you get twice as much out of a model and I like the way the ideas unfold - and they never end up looking like you first envisaged!

Looks good, Zoly!
I just have my doubts how SM with sails would fit that diorama - which ought to show the ship in a 'being built' state? Sails are obviously used only on a finished ship, on the water. In my way of thinking if she is being built, then the maximal readiness should be hull with masts. Even yards were going to be installed on the water only.
Janos

Hello Janos,thanks for visting my build log,I am not adding masts and sails as I mentioned before .

Hallo Zoltán,
It is a very good idea to arrange the ship on a slipyard, and you can get rid of a lot of a lot wooden strips.
I am surprised how much would be necessary.....
There are some books available describing how these ships were built and which „equipment“ they used at this time.....I will take a look which one could help....

Fastly checked:
Building the wooden walls from Brian Lavery
Or even better
Building the wooden fighting ships from James Dodds
These books could give you some hints, which you could use in your diorama

Hi Zoltan. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. As you know, I finished my armed pinnace up as a diorama and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. I think that with a diorama it is almost like you get twice as much out of a model and I like the way the ideas unfold - and they never end up looking like you first envisaged!

Hello Graham ,now I got two books to look up and see what ideas getting from them,but its fun,I am not aiming historic accuracy on this one.

Last edited:
Hi Zoltan,
When you build your display cases. How do you order your glass. Like how thick, is it safety glass or what?

Hello Mike,it will be plexy glass,regular glass is very expensive around here.

Back