Sayings from shipping that we still use today

Shake a leg, when checking for extra crew in bunking the master would shake the leg of those in a bunk, if not hairy it was not a crew member in the bunk, but a shore visitor for the crew (polite way to say prostitute check)

Shake a leg, when checking for extra crew in bunking the master would shake the leg of those in a bunk, if not hairy it was not a crew member in the bunk, but a shore visitor for the crew (polite way to say prostitute check)

I never heard that before. The meaning that is.

Hook, line and sinker
"That catfish I caught the other day was a big one... swallowed everything, hook, line and sinker..."
Coming back from shore leave late, the captain took my yarn, hook, line and sinker.

Last edited:
"Three sheets to the wind" is an expression used to describe someone who is drunk - it comes from a ship sailing under sheets (fore sheets) only - barely making headway and difficult to steer a straight course.

Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey is often mentioned as a naval term referring to cannon balls being stored on a brass rack which would contract in cold weather spilling the canon balls but there are many theories that this is not actually the true origin.

Hallo @Cankita
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I was watching a show the other night, they showed that French Had a new weapon, heating cannon balls red hot ( hot shot) and it burnt ships down. When they went through a sail, is caused a fire immediately.
so where did the cat out of the bag come from?
The cat of nine tails was kept in a bag. When it was taken out of the bag somebody was in trouble.

I was watching a show the other night, they showed that French Had a new weapon, heating cannon balls red hot ( hot shot) and it burnt ships down. When they went through a sail, is caused a fire immediately.
I believe "Cat out of the Bag" is related to the practice that the Boatswain kept the Cat-of-Nine-Tails in a bag and it was taken out to administer floggings, hence, letting the cat out of the bag.

According to POB, the cat o' nine tails was kept in a red baize bag. The bag was brought on deck when the captain was deciding the fate of the accused. Apparently the presence of the bag alone was an effective deterrent. But when the bosun took the cat out of the bag, the sailor's fate was sealed. I assume everyone here is familiar with POB?

If you haven't got the answer already, it refers to taking out the cat o'nine tails.

Two of my favorites are "Between the devil and deep blue sea" and "The devil to pay". Both refer to the garboard plank seam, the devil, which apparently was very difficult to caulk and keep leak free. The meaning has morphed considerably in today's usage.

Back