scaled down block tackle for cannons rigging

I am building the Le Soleil Royal and the scale is advertised at 1/90 but believe the scale is closer to 1/80?? The blocks supplied and the blocks being used by some members I think are 4 x 5 mm scaled up to would make them 12.5" x 16" which seems extremely large for the scale? I am going to use 2 x 3 mm blocks which scaled up to 6.2" x 9.5" which seems to me to be more in line to the scale?? I but I do not know for sure does anyone have some thoughts on this before i begin to install

I am building the Le Soleil Royal and the scale is advertised at 1/90 but believe the scale is closer to 1/80?? The blocks supplied and the blocks being used by some members I think are 4 x 5 mm scaled up to would make them 12.5" x 16" which seems extremely large for the scale? I am going to use 2 x 3 mm blocks which scaled up to 6.2" x 9.5" which seems to me to be more in line to the scale?? I but I do not know for sure does anyone have some thoughts on this before i begin to install
The size of blocks on real ships were defined by the thickness of the ropes - so therefore you had bigger blocks on ropes which were able to take over higher forces / traction. and much smaller blocks.
A 5mm block on a 1:90 scale model sounds really big, but you have to define "case by case"

The size of blocks on real ships were defined by the thickness of the ropes - so therefore you had bigger blocks on ropes which were able to take over higher forces / traction. and much smaller blocks.
A 5mm block on a 1:90 scale model sounds really big, but you have to define "case by case"
Hello, on these details there are tables regarding the dimensions

That is what I was thinking. It even looks way to out of scale!! I think I will use my new 2x3mm blocks

Definitely use the smaller size. Oversize blocks on gun tackle are a common fault on many models (including mine). Usually the problem is that the very small sizes required for smaller scales are difficult to obtain. One approach is to substitute single blocks for double blocks on the tackles to reduce crowding. While not exactly correct, the visual appearance is improved.

DBACF227-E30A-4CEE-8BC1-193033CF7047.jpeg

1. The first thing you need to know is the DIAMETER of the rope that goes through the block.
2. The length of the block is usually about 9 times the diameter of the rope. For the gun tackle it looks a little better if you make the length of the block about 8 times the rope diameter; gun tackle blocks ALWAYS look too big no matter what you do. . An argument can be made that the numbers 9/8 and 5 are questionable. However at the scale you are talking about , you could not accurately measure any differences even if you tried.
3. The width of the block is about 5 times the diameter.
4. The hole size for the rope is about 1.1 times the rope diameter; put in the 2 holes - one hole looks dumb..
5. That is basically it. Now all you have to do is make them.

My Master Korabel kit for the Phoenix includes some 2.5mm single sheave blocks which are incredibly well made: oval in shape, notched top and bottom for the strop and with holes above and below the "sheave". Searching the web shows that they actually make 2mm single and double sheave blocks. Incredibly small and probably ideal for rigging cannon. They are available on e-bay but unfortunately 'from Italy' with £15.85 postage to the UK.

My Master Korabel kit for the Phoenix includes some 2.5mm single sheave blocks which are incredibly well made: oval in shape, notched top and bottom for the strop and with holes above and below the "sheave". Searching the web shows that they actually make 2mm single and double sheave blocks. Incredibly small and probably ideal for rigging cannon. They are available on e-bay but unfortunately 'from Italy' with £15.85 postage to the UK.
That sounds like a rip-off postage for such small items, I believe it's only £7.50 for the ones from the States.

Back