Scientific kit Flying Cloud

Having completed the Scientific kit Cutty Sark I enjoyed the build very much. Never having worked in such a small scale before It was a challange when it came to upgrading the original. With this kit I will utilize the pre-carved hull and sratch build the rest to represent the Star of India at the San Diego Maratime Museum. I have now completed the standing rigging and I am awaiting the 1.5 MM blocks to arrive to complete the running rigging.

Last edited:
Nice work!
How many of us builders really know what all those different sails are/were used for, and how these magnificent ships were handled? Turning ships like these is a LOT more than just moving the rudder. This thread reminded me of a terrific video of the real Star of India being put through it's paces. Enjoy!

I have now completed the running rigging on the Star of India. This was origanaly the Scientific kit Flying Cloud. I added real dead eyes and blocks. I colored and shaped silkspan for the sails. Added the upper spreaders for standing rigging.

Well done - so you are fastly getting close to finish her....

Having completed the Scientific kit Cutty Sark I enjoyed the build very much. Never having worked in such a small scale before It was a challange when it came to upgrading the original. With this kit I will utilize the pre-carved hull and sratch build the rest to represent the Star of India at the San Diego Maratime Museum. I have now completed the standing rigging and I am awaiting the 1.5 MM blocks to arrive to complete the running rigging.
Hallo @Dave Teel
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Good news, Dave! You have a Birthday day today. Have the happiest one, make it special! Birthday-Cake

Back