Scissors

I usually use suture scissors. They're typically used for cutting thread when giving people stitches for a cut etc. like these. Clicky Clicky I just buy the cheap ones and toss them when they get worn. I did the whole Constitution with one pair and then threw them away.

I also bought a pair of the long reach scissor from micromark. When I rigged the Constitution it was great to be able to reach across the deck through the rat lines. These aren't great quality but they work and for periodic use they're fine.

I usually use suture scissors. They're typically used for cutting thread when giving people stitches for a cut etc. like these. Clicky Clicky I just buy the cheap ones and toss them when they get worn. I did the whole Constitution with one pair and then threw them away.

I also bought a pair of the long reach scissor from micromark. When I rigged the Constitution it was great to be able to reach across the deck through the rat lines. These aren't great quality but they work and for periodic use they're fine.
I’m doing that with the eye scissors. I toss when done. Didn’t know if I was doing something wrong or this was a norm.
Thanks Myst!

My older daughter gave me a "thread zapper" she uses In needlepoint (I think). You just cut as closely as possible and use the zapper on the tags. It sears the the remaining thread leaving a clean knot. So I don’t need the super expensive scissors or Xacto and I never cut the loop or knot.

Thanks for the new idea meblackwood. In the past I've just done what the others say, use cheap scissors and dump them when they lose their edge.

Speaking of surgical scissors, another medical thing I've found useful is hemastats. They are locking tweezer that look like scissors that surgeons use to clamp veins during surgery (ouch). They are great for holding things tight and providing weight--very useful when tying or shrouds or seizing deadeyes.

I use the scissors as well but instead of trying to cut the whole tag off, and often cutting the knot, I use the zapper which burns it down to the knot. You can get them for under $10 and change batteries every couple of years. She gave me the upscale zapper which runs around $12. I do use hemostats as well. Often I will loop a line, let he hemostat hold it in place, and add a touch of C/A instead of tying. If I do that I wait until the next day to zap the tag.

Thanks for the new idea meblackwood. In the past I've just done what the others say, use cheap scissors and dump them when they lose their edge.

Speaking of surgical scissors, another medical thing I've found useful is hemastats. They are locking tweezer that look like scissors that surgeons use to clamp veins during surgery (ouch). They are great for holding things tight and providing weight--very useful when tying or shrouds or seizing deadeyes.
Agree Thomas, i have many and use them exactly as you are! Definitely helps with deadeyes!

Being a novice at this type of ship building I bought these. I’m quite happy with them. Even after rigging my Enterprise they still remain quite sharp.

E97D16FB-A2A9-4429-B773-573B81B3A337.jpeg

I posted comments on these on the tools thread.

Jan

Being a novice at this type of ship building I bought these. I’m quite happy with them. Even after rigging my Enterprise they still remain quite sharp.

View attachment 132648

Jan
Thanks Jan! Until I blew up the picture and saw that Dr. Slick Co. sold fishing gear I was wondering if they supplied surgical instruments!! How'd you like to see that on the tray as they roll you into the operating theater!!:D

View attachment 132648

Jan
Jan, I just ordered some of these. Should arrive this coming week. I saw your post in another thread and found some on eBay!

20200305_185347.jpg
I use these to cut the rigging lines. They work great. They cut the thread clean. They are really sharp and hold up well. They are clippers for toe nails. I got them at the drug store for 8 bucks. They have a curve and it is easy to get in tight places.

Back