Scratch Built Model - Baltimore Clipper "Chasseur"as rigged in 1815

My scratch built model( using Model Shipways Pride II hull plans) of the "Chasseur" Baltimore Clipper, built by Thomas Kemp of Baltimore, in her 1815 brigantine rig reconfiguration under the command of Thomas Boyle.
At 120' on deck she was one of the biggest of her type. she was dubbed by the Baltimore press as the original "Pride of Baltimore" because of her victory in the only battle between Baltimore Clippers. The other being the "St. Lawrence", a schooner rigged ship of the same type, captured and used by the British as an armed dispatch carrier out of Cuba.
The model is depicted close hauled with acrylic coated fabric sails with wire bolt ropes to hold the luff shape. The taff rail had been cut away by Capt. Boyle to allow long chase guns to be elevated to such a degree, as to dissuade a British warship that was gaining on them to give up the pursuit. A tactic that proved successful by the resourceful and imaginative Capt. Boyle and is so depicted in the model.
The sail plan is from those by G. Peter Boudreau and Thomas Gilmer, purely speculative. as is my rendering of the model, only having contemporary written resources to go by. No period depictions of the ship exist that I know of.
She ,under the command of Captain Boyle, is regarded as the most successful American Privateer of the War of 1812.

pride-of-baltimore01.jpg

pride-of-baltimore02.jpg

pride-of-baltimore03.jpg

pride-of-baltimore04.jpg

pride-of-baltimore05.jpg

pride-of-baltimore06.jpg

pride-of-baltimore07.jpg

pride-of-baltimore08.jpg

pride-of-baltimore09.jpg

pride-of-baltimore10.jpg

pride-of-baltimore11.jpg

pride-of-baltimore12.jpg

pride-of-baltimore13.jpg

pride-of-baltimore14.jpg

Last edited:
Accurate depiction of sails is very difficult at the scales we all model in. It requires a knowledge of how sails are cut and how they appear being flown. Not too many modelers have this knowledge (and the skill and patience) required to do it. Wire in the luff, leech and foot (?) of each sail is the best method I can even think of. These sails are some of the best I've ever seen.

Very impressive! I’m constantly amazed at the craftsmanship, the artistry of the boat builders here. In the short time that I’ve been on this site I’ve learned so much and enjoyed seeing the models that y’all have shared.

Thanks to all.
The wire is in the luff, leech and foot. The seams are penciled in. I used a hair drier blowing into the mounted sails after slathering the windward sides with clear matte acrylic. Another " This is oughta work!" gamble. (Again, better to be lucky than good!) The material is cheap muslin from Michael's.
I used Model Shipways "Pride II" plans so she's about the same 32"x22". although the "Chasseur", being about 20' longer on deck than the average Baltimore Clipper (about 90') the 1:64 scale is not quite the same. Materials include ebony and Yellow heart planking, a Tanganika deck and mahogany railings and other parts. The bottom is copper tape stuck to mahogany stripwood, Glued in place, blackened, rubbed with 600 steel wool and sealed. The deck plan I cobbled together from a variety of contemporary descriptions and plans of similar vessels.
She now resides in a condo converted from two hotel rooms in Ft. Lauderdale, in the collection of a 90 year old Vietnam Vet of some means who remains hail and hearty and is still looking to add to his collection. He's married to a much younger, gorgeous woman of remarkable intelligence and taste, a fact of which he is justifiably proud; has at least three residences, is a world traveler , collects classic cars, and looks forward to the future without reservation. He has one restoration of mine, A 1920's scratch built "Constitution" and three other models of mine, including the "Chasseur".
I'm kind of sorry I let her go but he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Besides, it's one more model my heirs won't have to figure out what to do with once I'm dead!

Pete

Last edited:
it's one more model my heirs won't have to figure out what to do with once I'm dead!
Peter Gutterman… as I tell my daughter, “ it’ll be a your problem, I won’t care…. I’M DEAD “

the rest in peace saying is just that……. No more worries, no more aches and pains

My issue (if that's the right word) is that I've left this tangible legacy of art: models, paintings, drawings, sculpture, creative writing,( including a novel:"Captain Johnson's History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates Anne Bonny and Mary Read" written in18th c. English; an epic poem: "Bras Coupe"' about a Slave rebellion in 1830s Louisiana, neither of which will see the light of day), all accumulated over 70 years and more, that will become a headache for my heirs to sort through and dispose of as they see fit. This is a source of concern for me now as I'm a worry wort and think waaaay to much. Also at my age "What's it all for?" comes to mind.
I do, however, realize that my real legacy of any consequence resides in the children and grand children I will leave behind in whom I am well pleased, and all of whom I am very proud. As the Lone Ranger used to say: "My job here is done!

This forum has afforded me the privilege of conversing with and sharing my art with people from all over the world! Something for which I am very grateful.
(Canada,no less!)

Pete

Thanks to all for the appreciative and encouraging comments!
ps Vic if your Robert E. lee is the Scientific kit I have some leftover custom made gingerbread railings that have a slight curve along the length in order to conform with the sheer of the decks. If you want "em let me know and you may have them for your model.

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the appreciative and encouraging comments!
ps Vic if your Robert E. lee is the Scientific kit I have some leftover custom made gingerbread railings that have a slight curve along the length in order to conform with the sheer of the decks. If you want "em let me know and you may have them for your model.

Pete
I would be interested, Peter!

Vic, I will email Donnie as to the appropriate way to exchange contact info so I can get what I have to you.:)

Pete

My scratch built model( using Model Shipways Pride II hull plans) of the "Chasseur" Baltimore Clipper, built by Thomas Kemp of Baltimore, in her 1815 brigantine rig reconfiguration under the command of Thomas Boyle.
At 120' on deck she was one of the biggest of her type. she was dubbed by the Baltimore press as the original "Pride of Baltimore" because of her victory in the only battle between Baltimore Clippers. The other being the "St. Lawrence", a schooner rigged ship of the same type, captured and used by the British as an armed dispatch carrier out of Cuba.
The model is depicted close hauled with acrylic coated fabric sails with wire bolt ropes to hold the luff shape. The taff rail had been cut away by Capt. Boyle to allow long chase guns to be elevated to such a degree, as to dissuade a British warship that was gaining on them to give up the pursuit. A tactic that proved successful by the resourceful and imaginative Capt. Boyle and is so depicted in the model.
The sail plan is from those by G. Peter Boudreau and Thomas Gilmer, purely speculative. as is my rendering of the model, only having contemporary written resources to go by. No period depictions of the ship exist that I know of.
She ,under the command of Captain Boyle, is regarded as the most successful American Privateer of the War of 1812.

View attachment 372592

View attachment 372593

View attachment 372594

View attachment 372595

View attachment 372596

View attachment 372597

View attachment 372598

View attachment 372599

View attachment 372600

View attachment 372601

View attachment 372602

View attachment 372603

View attachment 372604

View attachment 372605
What a beautiful scratch build and fully rigged clipper, Pete. My compliments!
Regards, Peter

Thanks very much, Peter. I consider it high marks coming from you! :D
Would you post a link to your Robt. E. Lee build? My riverboat John W. Cannon was kit bashed from an old Scientific Models Robt. E. Lee kit. It's in the completed models forum and extrapolated from old contemporary photos of the actual ship. John W. Cannon built the Robt. E. Lee and piloted her to victory in the famous New Orleans to St. Louis race. I'd like to see as much as I can about your approach to building and researching your model. I found a book called" The Cyclopedium of Western Riverboats" to be an invaluable resource. I wondered if you had used it as well. Is the picture of the pilot house in your ID photo from your model? If so it is the most like the real thing I can imagine, including the drop down and fold up enclosures in front of the pilot's wheel. also the delicate serpentine railings on the roof of the pilot house.
which would be a challenge to replicate. These are details often missed on western (what are most often called "MIssissippi ") riverboat models.
Thanks for your complimentary remarks and indulgence of my curiosity. I find your modelling to be remarkable, Instructive challenging and, above all, exemplary.

Pete

Of course I just now realized there is a link right there on your post! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back