Scratch Built Model - Baltimore Clipper "Chasseur"as rigged in 1815

Thanks very much, Peter. I consider it high marks coming from you! :D
Would you post a link to your Robt. E. Lee build? My riverboat John W. Cannon was kit bashed from an old Scientific Models Robt. E. Lee kit. It's in the completed models forum and extrapolated from old contemporary photos of the actual ship. John W. Cannon built the Robt. E. Lee and piloted her to victory in the famous New Orleans to St. Louis race. I'd like to see as much as I can about your approach to building and researching your model. I found a book called" The Cyclopeadia of Western Riverboats" to be an invaluable resource. I wondered if you had used it as well. Is the picture of the pilot house in your ID photo from your model? If so it is the most like the real thing I can imagine, including the drop down and fold up enclosures in front of the pilot's wheel. also the delicate serpentine railings on the roof of the pilot house.
which would be a challenge to replicate. These are details often missed on western (what are most often called "MIssissippi ") riverboat models.
Thanks for your complimentary remarks and indulgence of my curiosity. I find your modelling to be remarkable, Instructive challenging and, above all, exemplary.

Pete

Of course I just now realized there is a link right there on your post! :rolleyes:
Hi Pete. Thanks for your compliments.
I know that ‘Cyclopedium’ from Alan Bates very well. I used it during my build of my Lee. The used plans were also from Alan Bates. I see that you have found the link to my Lee.
Perhaps it’s better to write about the Lee in that build-log instead using this log of your beautiful clipper.
Regards, Peter

Holy Moses Peter!!! I just now got through browsing through your build log!o_O That's just.........NUTS!
On my steamboat, I was lucky enough to have some friends with some sophisticated computer programs and equipment which helped modify some of the parts I had, or to create new ones from photographs of the plans and, indeed, extrapolated from period photos, and the use of a laser machine and a friend who knows how to operate it. And I thought THAT was sophisticated!...Well, back to school.:rolleyes: This is soooo far above my pay grade. Again, thanks for the compliment on the little Baltimore Clipper, now I understand just how valuable that really is!

Pete
(Anywhere you deem appropriate to say nice things about what is my favorite model so far.)

Holy Moses Peter!!! I just now got through browsing through your build log!o_O That's just.........NUTS!
On my steamboat, I was lucky enough to have some friends with some sophisticated computer programs and equipment which helped modify some of the parts I had, or to create new ones from photographs of the plans and, indeed, extrapolated from period photos, and the use of a laser machine and a friend who knows how to operate it. And I thought THAT was sophisticated!...Well, back to school.:rolleyes: This is soooo far above my pay grade. Again, thanks for the compliment on the little Baltimore Clipper, now I understand just how valuable that really is!

Pete
(Anywhere you deem appropriate to say nice things about what is my favorite model so far.)
Thanks for this very nice post, Pete.
All the technique’s I have applied on my models, I have learned ... from others.
And then it’s fun to combine the old ones with the new.
The compliments for your Baltimore clippers are well deserved! I do love those elegant ships with the impressive sail plans …… and all that scratch if you …… Thumbsup
I have already the idea for my next build: a (Dutch) Vlaardinger herring lugger. But now I'm starting to doubt ……… ;)
Regards, Peter

Hello folks...new member here. Decades ago I built the "Dos Amigos" Baltimore Clipper kit from Scientific and it needs some rehab -- the rigging is dry rotted and there's damage from a recent move (broken gaff, yards and bowsprit). I came to this thread and as was blown away with the quality and detail of Peter's build. Holy cow! I would like some advice and source of rigging plans. I am not thinking of 100% accuracy at this point but basic aesthetics.

I used Model Shipways "Pride II", and "Dapper Tom" plans. Also plans by G. Peter Boudreau. (Not the famous French Boudreau who did all the books on early French war ships) You can get the above-mentioned plans from Model Shipways as well as the Dapper Tom instruction book.
That should give you what you need. If all the rigging is dried out, plan on re-rigging the whole thing.
Thanks so much for the enthusiastic. Review! :D
Welcome aboard!

Pete

Back