Scratchbuilt 1:144 scale Oceanic cruise liner

This isn't really a build log in the classic sense, it is more of a video build log of my recently completed scratchbuilt 1:144 scale cruise ship Oceanic (1963). I documented the build and have edited it into several videos on the design and construction and figured some here may be interested in seeing how it was done. Hope you like the pictures and videos!

https://historicshipmodel.com/how-they-are-made

20200926_134332.jpg20200926_134543.jpg20200926_140049.jpgIMG_4896.jpg20200816_105611.jpg20200816_121252.jpg20200816_121730.jpg

She is the real beauty in your mastery made model! Amazing workmanship with plenty of details! Bravo! I encourage everyone to check the link, Very interesting, and educational.

I have a question, the photo-etch parts did you make yourself?

Very good work of a very interesting model you are showing us here - and interesting and educational videos
Many Thanks for sharing with us - That is :cool:

She is the real beauty in your mastery made model! Amazing workmanship with plenty of details! Bravo! I encourage everyone to check the link, Very interesting, and educational.

I have a question, the photo-etch parts did you make yourself?
Thanks so much! I'm happy you like the model and videos. I drew the artwork for the photo-etched parts but sent it away to ppdltd.com to have the brass etched. I have a video almost complete that I will put up in the next week or so (probably less if I get time to work on it).

Why fiberglass the hull since this a static model?
I needed to have a thin shell for all of those cut-outs at the stern and the bulwarks at the bow, and I wanted them to flow smoothly with the rest of the hull. I figured glassing over the entire hull as shown in the third video would be the best way to ensure a smooth flow including these thin sections. Also, this is a very big model and I am clumsy so I'm sure the strength of the fibreglass saved me from repairing dents in a wood hull later on in the build :)

I just finished watching the first two videos. These are great. Your ability to create videos is up there with your modeling skills. I look forward to all the following episodes. Please do not skimp on the details because I am taking notes for my future dream build.
Rich

Back