scroll saw?

The Byrnes saw and sander are two of the best tools I have ever used, built and scaled for model building. Anyone know of a comparable model scale scroll saw for cutting frames? All I seem to find are cheap plastic ones or full-size normal use ones on Amazon.

Hello @glbarlow Personally, I don't own scroll saw. However, the article below may help you to choose the one you need. While many of them offered pretty much the same functionality, some of them have unique features. The price tag will depend on the brand name and features it is offered,

Hi there,
in my opinion, a small bandsaw is a better machine. You can get thin bandsaw blades which are ideal for cutting out frames.
I also have a scroll saw, but rarely use it. My bandsaw can do most of my ship modelling work.
Hi Brian, what band saw do you have or would recommend?

Hi Jim. I have the Dewalt DW788 scroll saw and it is a outstanding saw. I have had it for 12 years maybe longer, and have never had a problem with it. At the moment amazon has it for 399 and free shipping. Believe I paid about 550 but don't hold me to that. Gary

Hi Jim. I have the Dewalt DW788 scroll saw and it is a outstanding saw. I have had it for 12 years maybe longer, and have never had a problem with it. At the moment amazon has it for 399 and free shipping. Believe I paid about 550 but don't hold me to that. Gary

Ditto; I have had one with it's stand for at least ten years or so and has given me excellent vibration free performance.

I am a big fan of the Hegner scroll saws, which are known for best quality

Here you can see mine, which I bought one year ago

I am a big fan of the Hegner scroll saws, which are known for best quality

Here you can see mine, which I bought one year ago
Thanks, but that doesn’t seem to meet my “For models” goal. Seems great, and very expensive and big.

I am the unhappy owner of the smaller Proxxon scroll saw. Tried and tried and tried and at the end I just gave up using it. The Proxxon band saw is a different matter, I use it happily every day. With my knowledge as of today I would not buy a scroll saw at all.
Janos

I have same opinion as Brian077 and Janos. Earlier I had a Delta scroll saw but either I never learned how to use it or it was a scrap, but it never gave me satisfactory results. So I gave it away for free for somebody.
But now I have a small Delta bandsaw which I am very pleased of. It cuts very easily any kind of wood and even aluminum and brass if I change the blade. Very nice machine to cut frames & other parts for shipmodels and other projects.

I have to agree with Zoltan but you have to get to know the machine and its limits. What I believe that happens with any tool is its not a good tool from the start which I do believe leaves a bad taste in ones mouth and that is what happen to me with my first and second scroll saw. The first one I believe was a dremel, and was very unhappy with it from the very beginning, because it was junk and just no matter how hard I tried it just could not cut worth a hoot. The second one, which was a little bit more costlee. would vibrate so much, it was like sitting on top of a washer or dryer trying to cut a piece of wood and stabbing you self. Vibration when it comes to a scroll saw makes or breaks it. Well that one I just gave away and I hope it had a happy home. After that I laid off trying to find a good scroll saw and brought my 10 inch inca bandsaw which I have had it for 15 to 20 years, sort of lost count and not a day goes by that I regret buying it. Main reason was not to use it as a scroll saw but for the thickness of the blade compared to a table saw. Cutting expense wood cost money and the thickness of the blade matter a lot. well some were down the line, looking at tools I read a article on scroll saws and which one was worth buying. In fact I got it from wood craft who lets you use the maching to see if you like it. What sold me on it was were I placed a nickle on the table, on its end, figure it would fall over and bounce off the top. Well I was shocked and sold on the machine when I turned the machine up to full throttle and the nickle just sat there. Placed my hand on the table and did not fill any kind of vibration, and there just wasn't any. Next thing I told the clerk could he put one in the car and away I went and have never looked back. A lesson I learned is buy the best tool you can, even if you have to save your penny's and nickle's to get it. Tools are a personal thing and every body is a little different when it comes to them. Sorry about the long post, but just couldn't find the ladder to get down off the box. Gary

Uwe is right, the Hegner is the gold standard. I have a Porter Cable 18" scroll saw and it does a great job making frames. Also, since the wood is often hard and the blades dull easily, replacement blades are cheap and easy to install. I have much better control cutting tight radius curves with a scroll saw than with a band saw. No vibration, but I do have the saw bolted to a low mobile case with drawers for storage.

Hi pspearing. You are so right sir and a band saw is a phenomenal tool and the shop would be hamper with out it . It just nice to have the option on which one to use. Both the band saw and the scroll saw, at least to me anyway, what best suites them. Gary

As already discussed before, there are advantages and also disadvantages of the scroll and also the band saw.
Usually with a band saw, there are not so fine curves possible, like with a scroll saw.
But it seems, that Pegas has an alternative band saw, which full fills this needs

Pégas Scroll Band Saw

716062_01_P_WE_8_P_gas_Feinschnitt_Bands_ge_WZ_jpg_c1.jpg

The precision band saw from Pégas is a global innovation which works with the finest and most precise saw blades that have ever been made. This unique development is dedicated to both hobbyists and professional users in the woodworking industry.
The heart of the machine is a specially developed roller guide system that is perfectly adapted to the Pégas fine-cutting saw blades. The guide consists of one roll bearing above and one roll bearing below the machine table that contains a guiding groove which is adapted to the respective fine-cutting saw blade.
The extremely slender fine-cut saw blade with a width of only 1.02 to 3 mm is guided perfectly without any twisting, enabling even the finest cuts with complicated shapes and the narrowest radius of less than 2 mm. The special tooth design avoids vibrations completely and provides for a high cutting performance with an incredible smooth finish of the edges. For soft and hardwood with a thickness of up to 150 mm.
Additional advantages:
  • Machine table working height 106.5 cm (optionally adjusted to 78.5 cm for seated working position - Replacement feet No. 716063)
  • Machine frame and table made of warp-resistant cast iron, lower frame and roller coverings made of sheet steel
  • Machine table can be tilted up to 40°
  • Two speed levels
  • Safety switch in both doors prevents the machine from being turned on with the door open
  • Balanced track rollers made of aluminium covered with replaceable rubber bands
  • Diameter 65/58 mm connecting pieces for optimum dust extraction
  • High dead weight, approx. 70 kg, for vibration-free operation
It is a very high price, but it is maybe worth a second look - Does somebody has already experience with this kind of saw?

Back