Seastreet

Since yesterday afternoon I am a member of SoS and now I want to introduce myself. My name is Jan van Leeuwen. I was born in 1945 in Muiden, a small town at 12 km from Amsterdam, where I am still living.
Starting at the age of, 16 I have been working in the Amsterdam shipping scene as agent of various foreign Liner companies. I passed my conscription (21 months) in the Dutch navy.
I am maried, almost 53 years, and we heve one son.
Starting around 1973, I have built some 25 wooden models, a few of them with massive hull, but most on frames. Many of thes models came from a Momoli-kit.
At this moment, however, I am building the 'Cutty Sark', a Sergal kit. I intend to place a number of phtographs of the construction of this model on SoS as soon as I found my way on this site.

Ich bin seit gestern auch gerade neu hier. Sei herzlich gegrüsst, Jochen

I am also just new here since yesterday. Greetings, Jochen

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome on board Jan , just completed the Sergal ‘Cutty Sark’ , a really great model to build , on another note , born in Haarlem , started my seagoing career with KJCPL ( Royal Interocean Lines) , moved to Australia , held a shore position for more than a decade and back to sea , sailing as an Aussie in command positions for Wagenborg, Maersk and others till my retirement , so it looks like we have something in common.

1985C045-438A-42BD-A997-5D683813821E.jpeg

Hallo Jan,
first of all also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
WOW - 25 wooden models - this sounds like great experience and also a lot of fun
Would be great to see your Cutty Sark in a building log .....

Welcome on board Jan , just completed the Sergal ‘Cutty Sark’ , a really great model to build , on another note , born in Haarlem , started my seagoing career with KJCPL ( Royal Interocean Lines) , moved to Australia , held a shore position for more than a decade and back to sea , sailing as an Aussie in command positions for Wagenborg, Maersk and others till my retirement , so it looks like we have something in common.

View attachment 290997
Hello Robert,
Yes indeed, we do have something in common! Although I never went to sea for my profession, I spent a lot of time on board as a 'waterklerk', and later as owners'representative, and after my retirement I kept quite a number of contacts with captains of the liners I represented at Amsterdam. Unfortunately they disappear as life is not endless....
As a boy I collected, of course, photographs of ships. This collection still exists, so I do know all those beautifull 'Straat ..... ' and 'Tji.....'- vessels in the RIL-fleet.
What I like very much in your 'Cutty Sark' are the things you added: gangway and ladder agaimnst the cabins behind the foremast.
I am glad you contacted me and I wonder whether I could ask you a question on a certain part of the rigging. Are you still talking and/or writing DutchIf you like to mail direct: jan.van.l@ziggo.nl.
Hartelijke groet, Jan

Thank you! It is rather difficult to find my way, but sure I will succeed and find all ins and outs. For the time being I am wondering around.

Back