Seeking 1:96 Scale, 16th Century, Royal Navy Officers and men.

Wow! Two years have passed and I've done nothing with respect to models. But I've been working on Joe's original problem was trying to find suitable figurines: Royal Navy, 1/96, late 18th, early 19th century. I decided to chase down many of the leads suggested in this forum. I purchased the Artesania Latina 1/89 figures for Le Hermione; HaT 1/72 British Marines and Fighting Sailors; HaT 1/72 Napoleanic Naval Cannon and Crew. (Man, this research cost me a pretty penny! LOL) I will compare these to figures I created on Heroforge.com. I primed all the figures with Vallejo primer and painted them with a single coate of Citadel brand contrast paint to bring out details. I didn't get the 1/96 Revell-Blue Ridge USN metal figures.

Here are the resin prints - Heroforge figures are 1/48 when you download them. But it takes literally seconds to scale them to what you want. I look at this as a bosun or bosun's mate. Heroforge is best suited for fantasy or science fiction figurines - so I had to approximate Royal Navy garb:
IMG_4162.JPEG

Artesania Latina 1/89 Le Hermione/La Fayette: There are 14 metal figurines to a pack, 7 of which you need to attach arms or lower bodies and can thus select a pose. No repeats of the same figurine.

IMG_4153.JPEGIMG_4154.JPEGIMG-4196.JPG

Here are the two HaT kits:
A lot of figures but you get 4 repeats of each pose.
IMG-3996.jpgIMG-3998.jpg
IMG-3999.jpgIMG_4001.JPEGIMG-4213.JPG

Side-by-side:
IMG_4185.JPEG
IMG-4231.JPG

Many of you have mentioned that adding a figure to your models makes a big difference and I agree. I placed a painted 1/48 Heroforge-created figure on my model of AL's Swift just for these pictuers. (I call this guy Number One):

IMG-4020.jpgIMG-4022.jpg
And here's my 1/96 scale version of Number One inspecting my HMS Triton cross section:
IMG_4003.JPEGIMG-4044.jpg

I do want to get these models more in line with historical garb - so I'm going to start (hopefully) looking at other sculpting software to see what I can make.

I haven't done much scanning through the forums to see what others have produced with respect to 3D printing. But, if any of you want some answers please let me know! By the way, do you know anyone who wants a set of AL 1/89 Le Hermione figurines?!

Clear skies, everyone!
- Gabe

Back