Serving without maschine

How can a rope be served when there is no serving machine available?

I tried to wind the thread over a piece of metal, gleu it and let it dry. Then I took the metal out,so that the serving rope was formed in a pipe shape. At the end I put the rope to be served through that pipe... it did not worked....

IMG_2661.jpg
Start by threading the thread though the line to be served. Do this a couple of times then add a little glue if you wish, although it is not really required.

IMG_2662.jpg
Wrap the thread around the line to be served until you reach the required length of serving then repeat the same process as how you started to finish off the serving.
I hope this was not too much of a lecture :)

Here is a way to create a served end that is totally cheating but can "serve" depending on scale and location. I use regular sewing thread and tie a simple overhead knot at the point to begin the serve...then tie an additional overhand knot on the opposite side...continue back and forth (or top and bottom) until you have the length of serve you need. I usually need six or eight overhands. Once tightened together it is difficult to see any difference.

There is a great website: Wooden Modeling for Dummies, http://www.shipmodeling.ca/aaplandusite.html. Most of the good stuff is behind a one time only pay wall. There is a technique described in detail which as termed "Zip Seizing". This is the technique that @Messis tried before he opened this thread. I've used the technique successfully for several sizes of line.

Back