SHIPPING COSTS & IMPORT CHARGES FOR THE UK.

Just looking for a bit of information if possible from our UK members. Has any of you purchased a kit from Italy and have you been charged import duties/customs after you have paid for the item ?

I was going to buy off ebay and usually the cost works out before you confirm and pay(usually stuff from USA gets charged all the time) but from this particular company/seller the price does not change and there is no mention of import duties either in the description or through ebay themselves.

Thanks in advance
Rob

Usually the shop in the EU has to sell to you, in the meantime outside the EU, the kit netto without the VAT, because he is exporting outside the EU

Usually the shop in the EU has to sell to you, in the meantime outside the EU, the kit netto without the VAT, because he is exporting outside the EU
Thanks Uwek.
Vat wasn't the problem though as import charges/customs duty is a different thing here now even more so regards the stupidity to leave EU but that's another story. However I have took the plunge and bought the kit, e everything has processed properly without any problems and kit has been shipped as we speak, so hopefully there will be no problems when it arrives in the UK.
Thanks again

Thanks Uwek.
Vat wasn't the problem though as import charges/customs duty is a different thing here now even more so regards the stupidity to leave EU but that's another story. However I have took the plunge and bought the kit, e everything has processed properly without any problems and kit has been shipped as we speak, so hopefully there will be no problems when it arrives in the UK.
Thanks again
I mention this about the VAT because of

The price in Italy 100 + 20% VAT = 120 -> So I have to pay 120
The price export netto = 100 (without VAT -> So usually you have to pay to the seller only the netto price means 100
Importing in the UK usually you have to pay the UK VAT on top plus some fees or import duties

Thanks Uwek.
Thanks again
Now off course we are curious and would like to now which kit did you buy?

Now off course we are curious and would like to now which kit did you buy?
Hi Uwek

As you probably know we have a few good kit suppliers in the UK that stock a wide range of companies especially Cornwall Model Boats who I deal with a lot. However the kit I purchased, actually wasn't in my thinking as it doesn't come up for sale that often I don't think. It is a Mamoli kit which our UK suppliers do stock but never this model, which has maybe been rereleased since Dusek took over Mamoli.
The Mamoli kit I have bought after looking online at various info and videos and of course the price convinced me to go for it, I think its a beautiful ship and one I can relate to which makes it even more of a passion to build
The kit is Mamoli's "FRIESLAND' 80 gun Dutch warship. I know its kind not historically correct but I just had to get her.

Hi Uwek

As you probably know we have a few good kit suppliers in the UK that stock a wide range of companies especially Cornwall Model Boats who I deal with a lot. However the kit I purchased, actually wasn't in my thinking as it doesn't come up for sale that often I don't think. It is a Mamoli kit which our UK suppliers do stock but never this model, which has maybe been rereleased since Dusek took over Mamoli.
The Mamoli kit I have bought after looking online at various info and videos and of course the price convinced me to go for it, I think its a beautiful ship and one I can relate to which makes it even more of a passion to build
The kit is Mamoli's "FRIESLAND' 80 gun Dutch warship. I know its kind not historically correct but I just had to get her.
The Friesland is a highly interesting kit !! I hope we can follow your work on her
Maybe you know, in order to produce some appetite, the finished bashed model by @Maarten ?

20200203_192840.jpg 20200203_192912.jpg

20200203_193050.jpg 20200203_193155.jpg

also our member @Ptèr bought recently the kit - and @shota70 has on half built on the shelf

The Friesland is a highly interesting kit !! I hope we can follow your work on her
Maybe you know, in order to produce some appetite, the finished bashed model by @Maarten ?

View attachment 352240 View attachment 352241

View attachment 352242 View attachment 352243

also our member @Ptèr bought recently the kit - and @shota70 has on half built on the shelf
Thanks Uwek and yes I do know of this work and build log along with some others.
I of course will be making a build log when I start her, but have another few kits to do before then, after my Endeavour is finished( basically my hand sewn sails) then rigging them up adding any extras etc..
Thanks again for your help.

Now that Covid is over.I can now go for my summer break to Spain..I have been going to Ayamonte Costa de la Luz.for years
There is, and hopefully still there, a combined seafood restaurant/ model shop in town.Mariscos Romero.
I have bought my yearly kit there since 2008 and i ask for its weight, stick it in my luggage and fly home with it and my tan
..No problems doing this since this ridiculous Brexit was forced upon us

I have spent majority of my modelling on doing plastic aircraft and have frequently bought from overseas. Whilst I genuinely have no issues with paying whatever import tax is deemed fair (pays my salary in The Andrew), where the UK system can get a little cheeky is when the Post Office and others then charge you their"handling/admin" fee for applying the tax. Suddenly that great Ebay bargain doesn't look so attractive and worse only feeds The wife's argument that you've spent too much money,again etc, etc.

I have been very lucky with importing kits into the UK. I have bought 3 kits from China over the past 2 years, I believe they were all delivered by Fedex. The most expensive one was about £600. There was no customs paperwork of any description and no demand for VAT or import duty at any time. AFAIK the applicable rates should be 20% VAT and 5% import duty.

I have been very lucky with importing kits into the UK. I have bought 3 kits from China over the past 2 years, I believe they were all delivered by Fedex. The most expensive one was about £600. There was no customs paperwork of any description and no demand for VAT or import duty at any time. AFAIK the applicable rates should be 20% VAT and 5% import duty.
Its seems that you are only charged import duty and vat if you are buying from the EU
I used to deal with Hobbies Guinea in Spain before Brexit for hard yo get kits in the UK.
The most I was charged was £7 which was a EU wide post systems
Before the owner retired, he apologised and said that postage would be @£42 and Vat @ £20 on a kit listed at €99.. Dusek Golden Hind
My suitcase is cheaper

Just a short update on my Mamoli "Friesland" kit I recently purchased from a company in Italy. From date of purchase to delivery its taken just 10 days over land and sea, from Italy, through Germany, then the Netherlands and finally to Scotland.
The kit has now been delivered WITHOUT ANYMORE MONEY INCURSIONS like Customs, handling charges etc...
I have just checked over the whole kit and everything is as it should be, perfectly packaged so no risk of damage.
I will post an unboxing hopefully in the next few days as there is a lot of kit to photograph.

Thanks again for everyone's info and input.

Regards
Robert

20230130_124915.jpg

20230130_145436.jpg

Just a short update on my Mamoli "Friesland" kit I recently purchased from a company in Italy. From date of purchase to delivery its taken just 10 days over land and sea, from Italy, through Germany, then the Netherlands and finally to Scotland.
The kit has now been delivered WITHOUT ANYMORE MONEY INCURSIONS like Customs, handling charges etc...
I have just checked over the whole kit and everything is as it should be, perfectly packaged so no risk of damage.
I will post an unboxing hopefully in the next few days as there is a lot of kit to photograph.

Thanks again for everyone's info and input.

Regards
Robert

View attachment 354473

View attachment 354474
I am very happy, that everything went smooth without problems and additional costs.
I am looking forward to see the unboxing and hopefully also the building log :cool:

I have spent majority of my modelling on doing plastic aircraft and have frequently bought from overseas. Whilst I genuinely have no issues with paying whatever import tax is deemed fair (pays my salary in The Andrew), where the UK system can get a little cheeky is when the Post Office and others then charge you their"handling/admin" fee for applying the tax. Suddenly that great Ebay bargain doesn't look so attractive and worse only feeds The wife's argument that you've spent too much money,again etc, etc.
Hallo @F1GHTS-ON
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back