• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Ships and boats of the Chesapeake

  • Thread starter Thread starter KirkM
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 4
Joined
Jun 9, 2026
Messages
7
Points
13

I am currently looking for models or plans for workboats used on the Chesapeake Bay. I already have those from ModellExpo. I would like to see kit built or otherwise from Deltaville, Cambridge, St. Michael’s or the like. I am aware of most of the wonderful heritage sites around the bay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Capt. Kirk (no relation)
 
I have built a couple skipjacks based on plans I got from a client who volunteered at St. Michaels and used the book The Skipjack by Steve Rogers and Patricia Staby-Rogers. If you go to St. Michaels or one of the other yards you may get lucky and they are doing a rebuild. On one of my visits they were doing a rebuild and they let me take a piece of the keel that they had removed. I used a good portion of it on for one of the models. The client was super happy about that.
Allan
 
Here U go:

 
Cap'n Kirk:

Tha Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum has a large collection of plans that you can access through its website.

A couple of other useful reference books:
  • Chesapeake Sailing Craft by Robert Burgess (no plans but lots of photos and info)
  • Chesapeake Schooners by Quentin Snediker and Ann Jensen (plans, photos, and info)
Fair winds and don't overload the dilithium crystal!
 
Another old time favorite of mine is M.V. Brewington’s Chesapeake Bay Log Canoes and Bugeyes. A “Chapelle type” book with lots of drawings.

Roger
 
Thanks Roger

Beam us up Scotty there ain’t no intelligent life down here
 
Back
Top