Ships Boats

Does anyone have a source detailing the history/evolution of ship's boats? Especially late 1800;s to early 1900's.
Hey Bill, try The Boats of Men-of-war, by W V May. It is not exactly what you are looking for but the book about the ship's boat and its evolution.

Hey Bill, try The Boats of Men-of-war, by W V May. It is not exactly what you are looking for but the book about the ship's boat and its evolution.
Does anyone have a source detailing the history/evolution of ship's boats? Especially late 1800;s to early 1900's.
The book Jim recommended is the only one I know going more in detail

The book Jim recommended is the only one I know going more in detail

Thanks guy! Found it at world of Books for $15.34 - includes shipping. I'll post a Book Review once I receive it!

Have two copies of the May book. Neither cost more than £5 new from 'remainder' book outlets. Well worth having. Many illustrations which unfortunately are reproduced far too small.
I have the good fortune to own a complete set of the AOTS series.
With the use of a photocopier I put together an album with all the boats reproduced to a common scale of 1:48.
That is something the publishers could profit by.

That is something the publishers could profit by.
before the publishers would benefit, you will benefit first for sure! You brought up an interesting point, there are so many (but not enough) books about all kinds of ships: their structures, development, and services, but not for Ship's boats and their use.

Back