Ships manifest??

In the book of Boudriot on the French East India company, he gives some copies of provision lists at the start of a campaign as well as ship's manifests (for the cargo).
I'm pretty sure he gives similar lists for man of war provisions in his books on the 64 and 74.
Sadly, I am now at sea and won't have access to my exemplars till May.
Those books were published in English too, if someone has them.

There is also a paragraph at the end of Chapman's Architecture Navalis

Last edited:
Dear Don,
attached a copy of the book of Cornelis van Yk, written in 1697. (De_nederlandsche_scheepsbouwkunst_open_gesteld - C. van Yk) Originally it is about building Dutch merchantships, but from page 276 on it discribes what a ship had loaded aboard on leaving the Netherlands to pick up cargo elsewhere in the world. It contains the tools required, but also (page 285/286) the provisions for the officers and crew of about 100 man for one year. To my regrett: it's written in old Dutch, but in Canada there a lot of my original countryman that still can make some translations, when required. I tried to upload a PDF copy but you guess it: file to large.
Therefore the link on Google Books: https://books.google.nl/books?id=ZsGN0j4Biq4C

The cargo manifest was more difficult. They never knew what cargo was to be returned to the Dutch Port. Also, the voyage was a mutual interest between te ship (Captain/Officers) and the Merchant who was the Trader/Owner of the cargo. Often a few ship's/traders shared the risk of the voyage and also the profits of the goods arrived (équipage), the ancient version of the sea-transport insurance. On arriving home there were (of course) some quarrels about the shares and notaries/sollicitors made a full description of the cargo to be shared (or not) These are in the Dutch archives, but the fast majority is hand-written and barely readeble, even for the Dutch themselves. I spare you these.

Or maybe "ships stores" as they were sometimes called, it all varies by country and period of time.

To us nowadays, this might seem important to know, but back then, maybe not so important to document what provisions were needed or loaded for a planned journey.

I can imagine it would vary depending on purpose of the vessel, as a cargo, or fighting ship or such as a Tea Clipper.

I would think the military fighting ships which expected damage from combat would carry more than a cargo or passenger ship only worried about weather damage.
The stores were meticulously documented, loading supervised, checked down to the nail. (though iron nails were tradable goods and went missing at an alarming rate) The stores were usually paid for by the captain, hence the concern. Theft was a serious crime with serious repercussions.

Dear Don,
attached a copy of the book of Cornelis van Yk, written in 1697. (De_nederlandsche_scheepsbouwkunst_open_gesteld - C. van Yk) Originally it is about building Dutch merchantships, but from page 276 on it discribes what a ship had loaded aboard on leaving the Netherlands to pick up cargo elsewhere in the world. It contains the tools required, but also (page 285/286) the provisions for the officers and crew of about 100 man for one year. To my regrett: it's written in old Dutch, but in Canada there a lot of my original countryman that still can make some translations, when required. I tried to upload a PDF copy but you guess it: file to large.
Therefore the link on Google Books: https://books.google.nl/books?id=ZsGN0j4Biq4C

The cargo manifest was more difficult. They never knew what cargo was to be returned to the Dutch Port. Also, the voyage was a mutual interest between te ship (Captain/Officers) and the Merchant who was the Trader/Owner of the cargo. Often a few ship's/traders shared the risk of the voyage and also the profits of the goods arrived (équipage), the ancient version of the sea-transport insurance. On arriving home there were (of course) some quarrels about the shares and notaries/sollicitors made a full description of the cargo to be shared (or not) These are in the Dutch archives, but the fast majority is hand-written and barely readeble, even for the Dutch themselves. I spare you these.
Thanks Capt. I've downloaded it and will try to get it translated.

I'm slowly looking through these logs. Each line begins with HKF. I'm assuming that the H is hours as it numbers from 1 to 12 and repeats. Does anyone know what the K and F are for?

I'm slowly looking through these logs. Each line begins with HKF. I'm assuming that the H is hours as it numbers from 1 to 12 and repeats. Does anyone know what the K and F are for?
It indicates the distance run for that hour, as shown by reading of the log.
the distance is measured in Knots and Fathoms, where there is 8 fathoms in one knot
so 4 and 6 means that the ship ran 4.75 miles that hour

I'm still reading these logs. I'm confused about how they are layed out. There is a page for each day(normally). At the top it says "Details of the day" and it gives the date. Down the left hand side in the HKF column the hours are 1-12 and then 1-12 again. The day seems to start at noon as any time they mention noon, it's in the last post of the day(page?). And the same officer seems to post stuff for the full 24 hours. How does this all fit in with the watches? Did their day start at noon or was that just for the log?

I tried to find an article about the daily life of a sailor but nothing I found laid this stuff out. If anyone has a link to a good article could they please post it.
Thanks

Back