Shipwreck modeling advice?

Hi all --

I'm interested in constructing a model shipwreck and was surprised to learn that no one really sells shipwreck model kits. Ideally, the wreck would be of a classic 18th-century sailing ship in an advanced stage of decomposition, blackened with sea growth, sails tattered and lines festooned w/ seaweed. Basically an underwater ghost ship.

Any suggestions on an inexpensive kit I could use as a starting point? Any tips or techniques on how to best achieve the kind of dark, cinematic detailing I'm after? Paints? Materials?cba44e0dec7534bcfba57abdbda2c54a.jpg

Many thanks,
Rob

That's great, thanks. Any suggestions for how I could mold the sandy bottom around the ship? Is it plaster that's been textured, or... ?

That's incredible detail! I'm planning to use the Revell HMS Bounty as the base model (it's cheap and more-or-less fits the class of ship I want). It's a 1:110 scale. This model is being used as part of an FX-heavy diving sequence for an independent short film. We'll be using lights and a fog machine for atmosphere, and shooting at a high frame rate to simulate scale, but obviously the detail of the model needs to hold up under scrutiny.

I plan to use a camo flat enamel paint kit from Testors to paint the ship (basically shades of black, blue, and green) but I'm wondering how to best texture the ship and simulate marine growth. Bits of dry moss?

This was quite difficult to photograph. I made it over 40 years ago, and it should last forever, as it is sealed in a block of clear casting resin 100mm in length, 40mm front to back and 45mm high. Although the resin is clear, I photographed it on a sheet of blue card to give the appearance of water. The resin attacked the model and gave it a mottled, lumpy appearance -
Shipwreck (Large).JPG

When modelling bases for tank dioramas I used to use ready mixed grouting - what you use for bathroom tiling etc. It has a fine granular appearance when dry and takes paint well; I used several differing shades and airbrushing or colour washing both work fine.

Thank you so much for the great feedback. I went with a cheap Revell model of the HMS Bounty and am doing all I can to (carefully) assemble while also creating canted masts, broken crosstrees, and sagging lines. I plan to use wet tissue paper to sculpt bits of ragged sail before spray painting the whole thing flat black, then adding shades of brown and green with a sponge brush. For the surface, I'm using strips of plaster of paris laid over a substructure of cardboard for stability , but really like Graham's idea of grouting and might end up using that as a finishing texture. That, or I'll just walk down the street and bring back a cup of sand from the beach. Will update with finished results once I get there.

Hey all, I wanted to update you on my adventure. Using a cheap Revell model of the HMS Bounty, I applied generous amounts of grit mixed with glue, used ripped tissue paper for sails, and painted the whole thing flat black with a few green/gray accents. I then used an old iMac box as a base, cut out a hole for the ship to sit and thus appear "sunk" in the ocean floor, used a combination of grit, chicken wire, and papier-mâché to sculpt the geography, sanded (and sanded, and sanded, and...) then painted.

The result:

check this topic out

this is a nice doirama

Last edited:
Hallo,
we, from SOS, wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY Birthday-Cake

Back