Shipyard Card Model - HMS Alert, 1:72 Awesome build pics!

Hi All,

I haven't posted much lately, but still keeping busy. I'm doing some work and some research for the company Ages of Sail, which you can find at http://www.agesofsail.com. Great Internet shop – has probably the largest selection of kits, tools and fittings in the country.

Anyway, I've been looking at some paper models that the shop sells. They're from a Polish company called Shipyard and they are REALLY COOL! I was curious about them when I first saw them on the shelf, but when I started looking at them I started to get really intrigued by them.

I won't go into a whole lot of details about them, but I have been tinkering with one of the kits, a small, 1:96-scale version of the cutter HMS Alert, 1777. There is a larger scaled, boxed edition that is really nice. Well, now I've found pics of this larger, 1:72-scale boxed edition kit being built. This guy does an awesome job and he's pretty much building straight from the box.

This guy's build is just incredible. Shows what you can do with the Shipyard "Laser Cardboard Kit". I just ran across this yesterday and wanted to share. I see a reference in the build logs to the builder living, or had lived, very close to my location. I'm temped to seek him out, though this stuff was done about 6 or 7 years ago:

On a German Site: 1/72 Alert Awesome build log

On Flickr: 1/72 Alert Awesome build pics

If you haven't seen a paper model built before, I think you'll be quite surprised by what can be accomplished. And, they're far cheaper than wood kits. Gets one thinking...

Clare

Re: Shipyard Card Model - HMS Alert, 1:72 Awesome build pics

<t>Pretty impressive. Doris on MSW built the Sovereign of the Seas out of paper and it was something else, also. <br/>
Possibly Roger will allow you to bring one to the meeting to let us look at it. I noticed he had one of the H.M.S Victory which is very complex model even the Heller plastic version was impressive and tons of work.</t>

<t>Hi Gary,<br/>
<br/>
I can bring a sample or two, but probably not one of the regular paper model kits like the Victory. These things are packaged in clear plastic bag that are one step away from shrink-wrap and hard to resell once open. However, I do have a couple open items like a HM Bark Endeavour and one of the boxed kits as examples of what these kits are like.<br/>
<br/>
I agree that Doris on MSW does AMAZING stuff with paper model kits. More amazing that the photos I posted the link to. Her work is beyond belief.<br/>
<br/>
One thing I like about these paper kits is that many of them offer some limited amount of interior detail, which the wood kits don't provide at all. Even that HMS Victory kit you mentioned has the separate stern galleries engineered into it, so you can go crazy with it if you want.<br/>
<br/>
I have a 1:96-scale HMS Alert paper model kit. It's smaller than the Alert kit in the linked photos, but it's still pretty neat. And, I'm surprised at how sturdy the paper is once you've glued it all up. It's been a pretty fun and cool distraction! Really interesting stuff. Much harder in many ways I think than the 1:72-scale kit because the lager scale, boxed edition kit has all the parts already laser cut for you. You don't have to thicken any parts and you don't have to cut anything out, just free the part from the sheet.<br/>
<br/>
Anyway, I will bring something to the meeting.<br/>
<br/>
Clare</t>

<t>I have known about Card Stock for quite some time. However, it seems that the medium has become even more impressive over time. (this is why in my header at top of site, I have .... and Card Stock are all welcome). It is quite impressive what is going on here. Any build log made of such is certainly welcome here with no problem. I have been waiting for this interest to build up here anyways. <br/>
<br/>
Donnie</t>

Back