Shipyard Diorama In The 17th Century

I always wonder how shipyards look like, how they build the ships, how can they handle heavy objects such as ribs in the past centuries.

5 years ago I went to Paris and visit Naval Museum and got some answers.

I saw a shipyard diorama and as far as I understood the were building a ship with 118 guns.

When you see the human figures, you understand how big the ship is.

I want to share with SOS family and hope you like it.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

By the way there are lots of ship models in museum such as little beauty.

The man standing in front of the model is me. My height is 1,76 cm (Aproxx 5' 10")

You can imagine how small is she from my height :)

I couldnt learn the name of the ship and scale of the model.

9.jpg

Have a nice day to all.

Best regards from Turkey.

Last edited:
This is a very impressive model and interesting model you show us here.
Unfortunately the museum in Paris is since a longer time (I think 2 or 3 years now) closed for renovation.
And I am afraid, that most of the beautiful contemporary models will be afterwards not shown in the exhibition any more ...... It is a pitty

This is a very impressive model and interesting model you show us here.
Unfortunately the museum in Paris is since a longer time (I think 2 or 3 years now) closed for renovation.
And I am afraid, that most of the beautiful contemporary models will be afterwards not shown in the exhibition any more ...... It is a pitty

Then I'm very lucky to saw the old museum. I went there in July 2015.

I remember. There was a shipmodelling workshop in the museum too. You could see the modellers behind the glasses while they were working.

I took many photos but 191 of them uploaded to my facebook page.

If it's not prohibited I can share my museum album facebook link here to see everone.

I always wonder how shipyards look like, how they build the ships, how can they handle heavy objects such as ribs in the past centuries.

5 years ago I went to Paris and visit Naval Museum and got some answers.

I saw a shipyard diorama and as far as I understood the were building a ship with 118 guns.

When you see the human figures, you understand how big the ship is.

I want to share with SOS family and hope you like it.

View attachment 203883View attachment 203884View attachment 203885View attachment 203886View attachment 203887View attachment 203888View attachment 203889View attachment 203890

By the way there are lots of ship models in museum such as little beauty.

The man standing in front of the model is me. My height is 1,76 cm (Aproxx 5' 10")

You can imagine how small is she from my height :)

I couldnt learn the name of the ship and scale of the model.

View attachment 203891

Have a nice day to all.

Best regards from Turkey.
Reminds me of a model of the Endeavour I saw in New Zealand that was so large it was actually sailed to the museum

The French Naval Museum in Toulon has two of these. And I'd guess built by the same modeler or group of model builders. They're nowhere as complete except one shows mast stepping on a sizeable warship.

IMG_0852 (2).JPG

IMG_0854 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bilal..... here's a mission for you (should you accept it).....somewhere hidden away in one of your Turkish (naval?) museums is the original builders model of the 'Sultan Osman I', the ship that became HMS Agincourt in WW1.
I've only found one photo on the 'net in years of searching.
For those interested, a series of walkaround photo's would be very welcome service.
You wouldn't know someone who would be kind enough to oblige?
Happy new Year!
eN08tiH.jpg

Bilal..... here's a mission for you (should you accept it).....somewhere hidden away in one of your Turkish (naval?) museums is the original builders model of the 'Sultan Osman I', the ship that became HMS Agincourt in WW1.
I've only found one photo on the 'net in years of searching.
For those interested, a series of walkaround photo's would be very welcome service.
You wouldn't know someone who would be kind enough to oblige?
Happy new Year!
View attachment 204497

Mission accepted sir. :)

I live near İstanbul. It takes 1,5 hours to go there. I always visit the museum when I go to İstanbul. (For me it’s free of charge because I’m a retired naval officer. :) )

I know this model very well. I saw it about five year is ago.Then the museum closed for renovation over 3 years. After renovation pandemic begun and for nine months museum is not open for public.

After everything will turn to normal and museum open then I’ll go and take photos of if for you.

WOW!
You're a gentleman, scholar and acrobat!
My hat is off to you, sir.

Back