shrouds around mast

I'm building the Model Shipways Mayflower. I'm working on the shrouds. The directions say to loop the shroud around the mast so on the same side of the ship, from the deadeye, the shroud goes up around the mast then back down the same side to another deadeye. The problem is , say with 10 shrouds, 5 are leading down one side of the mast and 5 are leading down the other side of the mast. This creates an empty "V" at top end of the shrouds. The ratlines would not look right. How do I correct that or avoid it? John

Shrouds are looped as you say with one line going to two deadeyes on same side.

When you have an odd number of shroud lines the last line normally has a eye loop in center around the mast, and one end of line goes to last deadeye on the side for the mast.

See example in image below.

1710359908498.png

I'm building the Model Shipways Mayflower. I'm working on the shrouds. The directions say to loop the shroud around the mast so on the same side of the ship, from the deadeye, the shroud goes up around the mast then back down the same side to another deadeye. The problem is , say with 10 shrouds, 5 are leading down one side of the mast and 5 are leading down the other side of the mast. This creates an empty "V" at top end of the shrouds. The ratlines would not look right. How do I correct that or avoid it? John
I see. So every shroud, whether a single or a double, originates from a siezed loop at the cross tree.

I couldn't verify "EVERY" one, but it was the standard used by most navies for rigging.
Thanks for your reply and thank you for the effort you put into your answer. So if you have a mast with 10 shrouds on each side for a total of 20 shrouds, you'd have at least 10 loops around the mast all held up by the crosstrees. That's a pile of loops bearing on the crosstrees especially heeling in a storm.

Back