Single vs Double planking

eVery interesting contributions. Thanks to all who posted
If you want to move towards single (which I recommend) Get some 1.5 basswood and practice. You can use the kit bulkheads as templates to make your own bulkheads and keel to save spoiling a kit, use some fillers with your bulkheads and go ahead. Next step, do it with a nice timber. Any 0.5 veneer is awful to work with. So if a kit has 2mm inner and 0.5 outer replace with 1.5 inner and 1mm outer. Amati Victory line does this.

My only single planked hull was the Constitution by Billing Boats. It was a bit of a challenge, but I painted it and you’d never know it was single planked. You can see it in my signature block below. (My first complete ship build.)

My only single planked hull was the Constitution by Billing Boats. It was a bit of a challenge, but I painted it and you’d never know it was single planked. You can see it in my signature block below. (My first complete ship build.)
Is there a picture?

If you want to move towards single (which I recommend) Get some 1.5 basswood and practice. You can use the kit bulkheads as templates to make your own bulkheads and keel to save spoiling a kit, use some fillers with your bulkheads and go ahead. Next step, do it with a nice timber. Any 0.5 veneer is awful to work with. So if a kit has 2mm inner and 0.5 outer replace with 1.5 inner and 1mm outer. Amati Victory line does this.
Bob, I did not have a choice, as my Bounty is a single planked hull.

Bob, I did not have a choice, as my Bounty is a single planked hull.
A lot of the smaller boats were single planked kits. I would welcome more of them. When I started building I thought double planking was some sort of holy grail to aspire to!!ROTFROTF

Greetings, there is no traditional double-plank method. The ships were built with single planks only, When the ship was built, it had frames instead of bulkheads used in the ship model kits. To save money, kit manufacturers are using fewest bulkheads to form the hull. It makes it difficult to lay the planks naturally. Therefore kit manufacturers provide double-plank where the first layer is thick planks to form the hull. The modeler can apply filler to those imperfections spots and sand it smooth to make a foundation for the second planks.

Contact cement works. However, it employs aromatic solvents that are an Tox issue and fire hazard. My wife worked for a major Acrylic resin supplier. She worked on trying to develop a water based contact cement without success That was some time ago so maybe someone has come up with one. The issue is the speed tack develops. Solvent borne resins with fast solvents are perfect. If you use a contact cement make sure you have excellent ventilation

I scratch build my models and single plank only , it is very important
not to space your stations too far apart, properly spaced there is no
need for second planking g.

Back