Slackening stays

I'm noticing that after being in its case a bit over a year, some of the standing rigging on my yacht model is starting to slightly sag. Short of replacing them, has anyone tried to moisten these lines with water and then use an electric plank bender tool to heat and hopefully make them taunt again?

What material is the rope made of? If it's cotton you can use water and hair drier, I wouldn't risk using a plank bender. The hair drier does work but you need to use multiple passes.

If it's polyester there is nothing I know of to fix the issue other than replacing it.

Thanks Ben. Two of slackening lines (forestays) are made of Kevlar (from my Navy days, used to make machinery covers and awnings), the other is probably waxed cotton used in upholstery. If the problem gets worse I’ll remove the display case and adapt a small nozzle to my hair dryer, moisten the lines, and try multiple passes as you suggest. Thanks again.

I'm noticing that after being in its case a bit over a year, some of the standing rigging on my yacht model is starting to slightly sag. Short of replacing them, has anyone tried to moisten these lines with water and then use an electric plank bender tool to heat and hopefully make them taunt again?
Hallo @Tom P
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

i have several old ships without cases on shelves. what ive noticed over their 45 some years is that sagging is weather related. nice dry days, they are as tight as a violin rainy days they sag.

This is what natural cotton threads do. Use polyester threads and you won’t have this problem.

Back