Sloops and boats for Dutch ships

Making sloops and boats is mostly a job at the end of a long proces of building a ship model and can be regarded as the cherry on the cake. Some kit makers produce longboats and all kinds of sloops, but for builders of Dutch ships there is nothing on the market (yet). By rare occasion literature offers help here. In his book Aeloude en Hedendaegse Scheepsbouw en Bestier (Ancient and Modern Shipbuilding and Managing) from 1671 Nicolaes Witsen (16342-1717) shows two auxiliary vessels in detail in the Plates LXVI, LXVII and LXVIII. Ships of that era were seldom moored at a quaiside Thyey usually were anchored in a habor or bay, so to reach the land it was necessary to have several means of transport. As a rule any seagoing Dutch ship of that era used two of them.

The 'boot'
The biggest one was a working boat used for transporting cargo, water casks and bringing out the anchors, called 'boot' (pronounce: 'boat'). The length equalled ¼ of the ship measured between stem and stern, so a 120 feet long ship had a 30 feet long boot. It was usually towed behind the ship, but undeer certain conditions it was also possible that it was sailed along with the big ship, using a simple spritsail rig.
Witsen shows the vessel in plate LXVI, writing: 'a boot's side view, a top view and a section':
Scan 14.24.08.jpeg

The drawing asks for some explanation, because it is not very detailed. As you can see the bottom is entirely flat and the side planking is klinker built. There are short frame parts nailed onto the bottom, which keeps it together, with curved parts in the sides (here only shown in the section). On top of them a keelson is bolted. Wether or not boards used as a floor on top of the keelson is not shown. There is a mast bench in the fore half with a recess in which the mast fitted if in use. Behind it is a windlass for the anchor. Witsen also draws one narrow bench in the back, but I have seen paintings depicting a boot with a short deck fore and aft.
Min co-operation with my Belgium first hand Rene Hendrickx the Witsen drawings were translated in 3D, using the free downloadable program Delftship.
Knipsel 3.PNG

Knipsel 4.PNG

In contemporary paintings we often see the vessels depicted. Here one, even showing a small fore deck:

s-velde-elder-brederode-375-detail kopie.jpg

Here a boot with its rig installed on the right side, a sloop to the right. It seems to have a flat tuck, but the effect may be caused by painted decorations:

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-14 om 09.02.23.png

In 1/77 model scale it looks somewhat like this:

Bijbootje_1b_LR kopie.JPG

The 'chaloup'
Much better detailed is the picture of the sloop (Plates LXVII and LXVIII), with a side and a top view, a longitudinal section, and two body sections.

Scan 1 14.24.08.jpeg

It was called a 'chaloup' (pronounce: sloop) and it was mainly used for transporting people. The length was 4/5 of the boot. Usually it was carried on deck.
The sectional shape of the chaloup is more round, with a carvel bottom and klinker sides. In 3D it looks like this:

Knipsel1 19.21.16.PNG

Knipsel 2.PNG

On paintings and drawings, for instance by Willem van de Velde, we see a variety of possibilities for as far as the aft part of the vessel is concerned.

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-14 om 09.06.33.png

Here the rowers in the middle and fore and aft space for the passengers:

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-14 om 08.58.55.png

Bijbootje_2a_LR.JPG

For finishing my latest 'fluit' I produced both vessels in 1/77 scale. They are not finished, the painting should be perfected, but I had to bring the models to the shoot-session with my son.

Anyone who wants the 3D files to study them in Delftship, can send me a message.

Are the boats made of cardboard? I ask because you usually build in cardboard. But they look like they were made of wood.

In fact it's mostly plastic.
I built a simple vacuum-box, connected to the vacuum-cleaner. From some balsa wood I carved the hulls of the boats and using a heat blower for removing paint I softened the 0,5 mm styreen sheet. Once the sheet started sagging I fired up the vacuum cleaner and that was it... well, most of it. After that I did the interior with card and styreen and planked the outside with self adhesive plastic strips with wood-print. The painting process was not finished when the photo shoot was planned, so the finishing touch has not been applied, but I hope the process it clear.
Ab
IMG_0950.JPG

Very interesting and informative post - Many Thanks - I love such information

Thanks for the build info. i have always struggled to made decent ships boats.
You have sparked some thoughts on future builds.

This last model is one of the Navy Collection I was working on in the Rijksmuseum, out for a lomng lasting lone to the Fries Scheepvaart Museum. Beatiful model.
Very nice model indeed, we visited Sneek on the last day of our holiday to visit one of the boat hire offices about hiring a cruiser for next summer - Covid permitting. I had already made the reservations to visit the museum, my Belgian wife and I spent many hours in there.
A really fantastic museum giving the rich history of Dutch and Friesian ships, commerce, and family life in Friesland, the models and exhibits were outstanding, I took a load of pictures while there and am looking forward to going back next summer and diving in a bit deeper.

Making sloops and boats is mostly a job at the end of a long proces of building a ship model and can be regarded as the cherry on the cake. Some kit makers produce longboats and all kinds of sloops, but for builders of Dutch ships there is nothing on the market (yet). By rare occasion literature offers help here. In his book Aeloude en Hedendaegse Scheepsbouw en Bestier (Ancient and Modern Shipbuilding and Managing) from 1671 Nicolaes Witsen (16342-1717) shows two auxiliary vessels in detail in the Plates LXVI, LXVII and LXVIII. Ships of that era were seldom moored at a quaiside Thyey usually were anchored in a habor or bay, so to reach the land it was necessary to have several means of transport. As a rule any seagoing Dutch ship of that era used two of them.

The 'boot'
The biggest one was a working boat used for transporting cargo, water casks and bringing out the anchors, called 'boot' (pronounce: 'boat'). The length equalled ¼ of the ship measured between stem and stern, so a 120 feet long ship had a 30 feet long boot. It was usually towed behind the ship, but undeer certain conditions it was also possible that it was sailed along with the big ship, using a simple spritsail rig.
Witsen shows the vessel in plate LXVI, writing: 'a boot's side view, a top view and a section':
View attachment 198825

The drawing asks for some explanation, because it is not very detailed. As you can see the bottom is entirely flat and the side planking is klinker built. There are short frame parts nailed onto the bottom, which keeps it together, with curved parts in the sides (here only shown in the section). On top of them a keelson is bolted. Wether or not boards used as a floor on top of the keelson is not shown. There is a mast bench in the fore half with a recess in which the mast fitted if in use. Behind it is a windlass for the anchor. Witsen also draws one narrow bench in the back, but I have seen paintings depicting a boot with a short deck fore and aft.
Min co-operation with my Belgium first hand Rene Hendrickx the Witsen drawings were translated in 3D, using the free downloadable program Delftship.
View attachment 198826

View attachment 198827

In contemporary paintings we often see the vessels depicted. Here one, even showing a small fore deck:

View attachment 198828

Here a boot with its rig installed on the right side, a sloop to the right. It seems to have a flat tuck, but the effect may be caused by painted decorations:

View attachment 198829

In 1/77 model scale it looks somewhat like this:

View attachment 198830

The 'chaloup'
Much better detailed is the picture of the sloop (Plates LXVII and LXVIII), with a side and a top view, a longitudinal section, and two body sections.

View attachment 198831

It was called a 'chaloup' (pronounce: sloop) and it was mainly used for transporting people. The length was 4/5 of the boot. Usually it was carried on deck.
The sectional shape of the chaloup is more round, with a carvel bottom and klinker sides. In 3D it looks like this:

View attachment 198832

View attachment 198833

On paintings and drawings, for instance by Willem van de Velde, we see a variety of possibilities for as far as the aft part of the vessel is concerned.

View attachment 198834

Here the rowers in the middle and fore and aft space for the passengers:

View attachment 198835

View attachment 198837

For finishing my latest 'fluit' I produced both vessels in 1/77 scale. They are not finished, the painting should be perfected, but I had to bring the models to the shoot-session with my son.

Anyone who wants the 3D files to study them in Delftship, can send me a message.
I really like your combination of paintings, drawings together with your boat and explanation of what is seen and changes between all of your resources. Rich (PT-2)

Tommyg, Alicat and Rich, thanks for your comments.
The model is actually not really connected with Frisian history (it shows a Rotterdam ship on the stocks), but in the days the manager of the Sneek Scheepvaartmuseum made his choice for models to show in his museum, this one was one of the hundreds of models the Rijksmuseum kept in store. It proves the good taste of the manager to choose this one. Any place in a museum is better than a years-long stay in a depot.
The model inspired me in 1983, years before I got the job at the Rijks, to picture the Witsen pinas I was building in a comparable unfinished state. Of course the model was completed some time later. Maybe I should have left it in this state....

Scan.jpeg

Scan 1.jpeg

Tommyg, Alicat and Rich, thanks for your comments.
The model is actually not really connected with Frisian history (it shows a Rotterdam ship on the stocks), but in the days the manager of the Sneek Scheepvaartmuseum made his choice for models to show in his museum, this one was one of the hundreds of models the Rijksmuseum kept in store. It proves the good taste of the manager to choose this one. Any place in a museum is better than a years-long stay in a depot.
The model inspired me in 1983, years before I got the job at the Rijks, to picture the Witsen pinas I was building in a comparable unfinished state. Of course the model was completed some time later. Maybe I should have left it in this state....

View attachment 200095

View attachment 200094
I like the photos as dioramas of a ship under construction with the ladders and scaffolding. Rich (PT-2)

Hello dockattner,
I have the 3D versions in my computer. It is possible to make lines plans of them, but I will have to ask my Belgium partner to see if he can turn them into lines plans.
You are kind to make that offer. I would be willing (happy!) to pay for these drawings as I suspect there is quite a bit of work involved. I am building the DeAgostini Wasa at 1:65 scale - and while I am only months into an extended build I know I will want to include a boat or two in the final display. I am inexperienced but earnest and with the help of friends I have made on this forum I believe I might just be able to pull it off. Anyway, I am humbled that you have even made an offer like this - feel free to message me and we can discuss the scope of work needed and appropriate compensation for you and your partner.

Come to think of it, if I remember well, Kolderstok, another member of this forum, was planning to produce a kit for sloop and boat after my files, to go with his 17th century Dutch kits. It might be best if you approach him first and if he is not ready with his kit, you can come back and I will see what I can do. Compensation is no part of the deal, I'm only in this for a hobby. :)

Back