Sloops and boats for Dutch ships

Hello again Mr. Hoving. It seems kolderstok does not have a timeline that includes a Dutch sloop or boat. Are you aware of any resource for a 17th century support vessel that would assist me with a scratch build? I do have your 3D renderings. I guess I’m looking for something on paper that I could scale. Thanks for any advise / assistance you might offer.

Hello, Doc (I hope, Paul, you don't mind me call you Doc) :cool: Have you ever consider the "17th CENTURY DUTCH MERCHANT SHIPS" by Ab? This book consists of 152 pages, case bound with jacket, full color, 24 sheets of plans in a portfolio. It is available from Sea Watch Books

simple page from the book, courtesy of Sea Watch Books

1623550022033.png

Hello, Doc (I hope, Paul, you don't mind me call you Doc) :cool: Have you ever consider the "17th CENTURY DUTCH MERCHANT SHIPS" by Ab? This book consists of 152 pages, case bound with jacket, full color, 24 sheets of plans in a portfolio. It is available from Sea Watch Books

simple page from the book, courtesy of Sea Watch Books

View attachment 238612
Wonderful Jim! While I will certainly order this book - what I am looking for is plans for a chaloup or boot. Something that will guide me in this direction:

IMG_7633.thumb.jpeg.2665d9ccfddf29f12e193c16d5df075d.jpeg

If I survive the construction of the mother ship - I was thinking it would be nice to add a ship's boat as an after-party...

Hello Paul,
I made a lines plan for you out of the 3D reconstruction, which I hope helps you out.
You will have to find out the scale of the body plan in accordance to the elevation and topview, but I think you can manage by comparing the distances between the waterlines.
I also did a sequence for the build. I hope all is clear.
zijaanzicht.PNG
spantenraam.PNG
bovenaanzicht.PNG

Stage 1: flat bottom, stem and stern
fase 1.PNG
Fase 1a: filling pieces in the bow, seen from below.
fase 1a.PNG
fase 2: reinforcement of the bottom
fase 2.PNG
fase 3: clinker planking
fase 3.PNG
fase 4: adding the frame parts.
fase 4a.PNG
fase 5: adding the wales and filling strakes
fase 4.PNG
Fase 6: inserting floor panels, deck clamps and windlass. You can pick your own length for the boat and add benches to your need.
fase 5.PNG
Don't forget the leeboards (like I did:))
To the right a detail of the stem with a sheave for leading a rope.

details.PNG

Good luck,
Ab

Last edited:
As I was building the model of Duyfken some 10 years ago from scratch on the drawings of the replica, built in Fremantle (no kit existed then as yet) I received a drawing of a sloop from the marine architect of the replica, Nick Burningham, on the basis of which I made the model of it. Interesting to know why the Duyfken replica does not have her boat even today. It was apparently ordered from Indonesia at the time of the replica building but because of some misunderstanding the Indonesians built and sent a traditional fishing boat instead. This was on display for a few years at the Sydney Maritime Museum but Duyfken hasn't got a byboat even today... (and yes, the byboats weren't called lifeboats until the 19th century).
János

I WELL KNOW THE FEELING, DUE TOMY PHYSICAL CONDITION I AM LOOKING FOR QUICK BUILDS CAN NOT DO THE 2 OR 3 YEAR BUILDS ANYMORE, JUST WONDERING ABOUT THE SIZE IS IT TO SMALL TO GET THE DETAILS CORRECT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Don't expect a build from me Donny. My scale is 1/77 and therefore I only do it the way I described in post #4. But I tried to give an image how it was done IRL with the 3D images. Nothing stops you from giving it a try yourself though. Keep me informed. :)

Hello Paul,
I made a lines plan for you out of the 3D reconstruction, which I hope helps you out.
You will have to find out the scale of the body plan in accordance to the elevation and topview, but I think you can manage by comparing the distances between the waterlines.
I also did a sequence for the build. I hope all is clear.

Good luck,
Ab
Hi Mr Hoving,
Thank you for this very informative thread.
Herman

Back