Smit Rotterdam

Hi Im Sanjiv also 62 years old working on my Smit Rotterdam. Earlier builds have been 2 static models of Sultana and Mississippi then a small Rc Tug and now an RC Smit Rotterdam. Still pretty much a novice. Need some help. I started on fibreglassing the hull then wasn't very successful due to the many curves and bubbling and had to abandon the fiber glassing and did the Epoxy Resin only instead. I've sanded the resin and want to know if 1. its absolutely necessary to use fibreglass 2. can fibreglassing be done over epoxy and finally can I just do 2 more coats of epoxy resin and will that be enough. Any suggestions , directions will be really welcome.

Welcome to the Forum Sanjiv.Using a reinforcement is not essential provided you planks are solidly glued together.You can apply more coats of Epoxy resin provided the last coat is thoroughly rubbed down.This is because Epoxies form an analine blush on their surface whilst curing.Ideally when applying multiple coats,you apply subsequent coats when the previous coat is still tacky to ensure intercoat bonding.The layer formed on the surface when dry has either got to be mechanically abraded or wiped down with acetone.Rubbing down is more preferable.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi NMBROOK, have a another few questions to ask
I applied epoxy resin on the inside. Then I applied one coat of epoxy resin on the outside sanded it with 80 grit sander then applied another coat. I plan to sand it down again but with perhaps 220 or 300 grit sander then apply a third coat. Should I be rubbing it down with acetone before I sand it down after the second coat or after the third. And will iso propyl alcohol do instead of acetone. the only acetone I'm getting here is the one used for nail polish. After I finish the final coat and rubbing I plan to spray on a coat of automotive filler and then paint it. is that ok ? any suggestions /advice would be warmly appreciated.

Back