Some questions regarding shrouds

The shroud lines were tarred, what about the rat lines?

If the rat lines were not tarred, the nots on the shrouds were still tarred?

What material are the futtocks made? Wood or metal?

On the Santisima Trinidad 1/90 scale what spacing would you think is appropriate betewwen the rat lines?

Thanks in advance

The shroud lines were tarred, what about the rat lines?

If the rat lines were not tarred, the nots on the shrouds were still tarred?

What material are the futtocks made? Wood or metal?

On the Santisima Trinidad 1/90 scale what spacing would you think is appropriate betewwen the rat lines?

Thanks in advance
My two cents and opinion.
ratlines were not tarred, also not the knots
What do you mean with ".... futtocks made? Wood or metal?" Futtocks are parts of the wooden frame in the hull. Maybe you show in a sketch, which part you mean?
The futtock shrouds were also rope in the time of your Santisima.....
Maybe also this topic may help, also with the sketches you find there, because we discussed here the same area:
The spacing between the steps of a ladder (it is nothing else like a ladder) is nowadays between 25 and 30cm - means in your scale appr. 3,5mm
The distance of ratlines were somehow bigger.
In several publications the distance is mentioned different or better not clearly defined
Brady says "15" in The Kedge-Anchor.
Harold Underhill, in Masting and Rigging gives "About 15"

and Lees in The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625-1860
"were spaced 13" to 15"

So I think 15" means 38 cm would be correct - in your scale 4,22 mm - so between 4 and 4,5 mm

G'day Uwe,
What do you mean with ".... futtocks made? Wood or metal?" Futtocks are parts of the wooden frame in the hull. Maybe you show in a sketch, which part you mean?

I think he is asking about the futtock staves that the futtock shrouds are lashed to, see pic below,

1434729702_4155_FT12055_futtock_shrouds_.png

I think for strength they were probably metal, but wood could have been used,
hope this helps,

best regards John,

Last edited:
Oh I understand.....
futtock stave.jpg

I think also mainly a metal rod - some modelers are using here often a wood - it had to be strong enough to take over and transfer the forces from the shrouds - important was the horizontal "shrouds" between the two futtock staves on both sides

What about catharpins? are they used in any specific situation? or all shrouds should have it?

What about catharpins? are they used in any specific situation? or all shrouds should have it?
You need them, because they are taking over the forces from the futtock shrouds - otherwise the complete tension would go only on the shrouds, and they would make a curve

Not all shrouds have catharpins - often also they are not possible because of the mast

Theory:
81ea32c99e95c01c282acfbd95a79eb2.jpg 1388232684_1929_FT7649_pict_v_4904_.jpg

Here a Victory model, where the mast is limiting the number
1284322198_963_FT1655_16_06_dsc02396aaa.jpg

There are no ratlines above the stave right?
We discussed this in this topic:
Depends......

If ratlines were tarred it would be very messy climbing the rigging in hot weather - especially since sailors were, I believe,
often barefooted. Unless ships carried large quantities of turpentine for foot washing the tar would transfer to the decks!
Jolly Jack Tar might not have been quite so jolly.
Nevertheless, most of us seem to model the ratlines with black thread rather than natural hemp coloured.

Back