Something new in the workshop-Steam box

I found that the steam hole out should be about the same size as the hole in. You don't really need any pressure for the little stuff we steam. As long as the temp goes to 212f(100c) you're golden. I think you've also learned the lesson that there is no point in making a fancy steam box. They are consumables if made from wood. An ugly piece of PVC or ABS is the answer.
Hi Don,

I tried PVC and the temperature was a problem, PVC starts to move around at about 60 deg C, I ended up with a piece of metal down pipe that I wrap in an old towel to provide some insulation. Nothing fancy but it works.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Steaming depends on the thickness of the wood. Thin wood(like planking) takes seconds to heat up and seconds to cool off. I sometimes think that it cools off so fast that you would be just as far ahead to just wet the wood. Thicker wood holds the heat better. At around 1" thick you have a few minutes to bend it. For planking I think that dipping the plank in water and then hitting it with a hot(cotton setting) iron works just as well. You're bending it while it's hot. That said heat by itself will bend thin wood so maybe the steam isn't even necessary. I have bent quite a bit of planking with just a hot air gun. It has the advantage of not having to wait for the wood to dry.
Disclaimer-My experience steaming stuff for model ships is limited to the Hazel wood that I'm using for my build and Hazel bends like a dream so my results may be skewed. I do have years of experience steaming thicker wood when I was making bows though.

Just purchased this Bending Iron from StewMac in Ohio, USA
www.stewmac.com

I believe the primary use for these is Luthier's.

I have some wide 1.5"x 1.5mm thick Walnut that I need to bend, and this appeared to be just the tool.
The aluminum mandrel is approx. 6-1/4" long with two different bending radii's, 7/8" & 3/8"
The mandrel is solidly mounted on a block of wood which also houses the controller
The unit is VERY robust and has to be clamped to the bench for use.
The recommended temperature for bending is 300-350 deg's F

It does take a fair amount of time to come up to temperature because of the mass of the aluminum mandrel.
I was quite pleased with the results on test pieces. I did not soak the walnut instead just
spritzed it with water.

After trying this out I believe it will be my go-to tool for bending hull planking.

31_plank bender.jpg

Highly recommended ;) as the water turns to steam rather quickly.
They also have a
stainless-steel bending strap which I will be purchasing. That should aide in the forming of the end of the piece.
(Without burning
fingertips) :oops:

32_Glove.jpg

Hi, the box looks great pity it split , I was thinking about using thin wall RHS and welding an end on then hinge the door ( no chance of splitting ) just a thought.

Had a chance to try out my new bending iron.
This was a piece of walnut 1-1/2" wide x 2mm thick.

With regards to the bender, size matters ;)

I did not soak the material rather just spritzed it with water just prior to bending. Bending was a breeze and after the bend there was no need to clamp the piece in any type of form as it dried very quickly during the bending process. The water turns to steam almost as soon as it contacts the aluminum mandrel thereby drying and holding
its shape.
What's really nice is, as the bending iron is clamped to the bench freeing up both hands to complete the bending process. I find that this is preferred to holding a soldering iron type bender with one hand and the piece to be bent with the other hand while heating and forming around or into some type of mold or curved surface.
I also tried bending some 1/32" aircraft ply with the same results. As soaking the wood was not required there was no delamination of the wood
plies.

Anyone forming wide plywood bulwarks would find this tool is ideal.
I also formed some smaller planks 6mm x 1.5 mm with the same results. No more soaking, bending and clamping in place to dry for me.

I know the unit is pricey, but you get what you pay for. IMHO

The only downside to this unit is it takes a long time to come up to temperature (About 30 minutes to reach 300 degrees F.) due to the mass of aluminum. The
upside is it doesn't cool down like some of the smaller irons do.

Oh yes, did I say to wear an insulated glove on one hand? :eek: Don't ask how I came to that conclusion.

Test bend.jpg

Had a chance to try out my new bending iron.
This was a piece of walnut 1-1/2" wide x 2mm thick.

With regards to the bender, size matters ;)

I did not soak the material rather just spritzed it with water just prior to bending. Bending was a breeze and after the bend there was no need to clamp the piece in any type of form as it dried very quickly during the bending process. The water turns to steam almost as soon as it contacts the aluminum mandrel thereby drying and holding
its shape.
What's really nice is, as the bending iron is clamped to the bench freeing up both hands to complete the bending process. I find that this is preferred to holding a soldering iron type bender with one hand and the piece to be bent with the other hand while heating and forming around or into some type of mold or curved surface.
I also tried bending some 1/32" aircraft ply with the same results. As soaking the wood was not required there was no delamination of the wood
plies.

Anyone forming wide plywood bulwarks would find this tool is ideal.
I also formed some smaller planks 6mm x 1.5 mm with the same results. No more soaking, bending and clamping in place to dry for me.

I know the unit is pricey, but you get what you pay for. IMHO

The only downside to this unit is it takes a long time to come up to temperature (About 30 minutes to reach 300 degrees F.) due to the mass of aluminum. The
upside is it doesn't cool down like some of the smaller irons do.

Oh yes, did I say to wear an insulated glove on one hand? :eek: Don't ask how I came to that conclusion.

View attachment 317358
Very good to get from first hand a report about using this tool.
Now it is clear for me, that I will order one of these

ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO I GOT A LUTHERERS BENDING IRON LIKE BTHE STEW MAC ONE ONLY IT WAS $100.00 COMPARED TO $237.00 STILL PRACTING WITH MINE SEEMSW TO WORK OK SO FAR MORE AFTER TESTING WITH DIFFERENT WOODS AND THICKNESS GOT IT ON AMOZON. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO I GOT A LUTHERERS BENDING IRON LIKE BTHE STEW MAC ONE ONLY IT WAS $100.00 COMPARED TO $237.00 STILL PRACTING WITH MINE SEEMSW TO WORK OK SO FAR MORE AFTER TESTING WITH DIFFERENT WOODS AND THICKNESS GOT IT ON AMOZON. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
I saw those that are listed on Amazon however, I decided on going with the StewMac unit. It appears to be more robust and the manufacturer is here in the states and their products have a good reputation.
Ron

YES I HAVE BOUGHT QUITE A FEW ITEMS FROM STW MACK I HAVE THE LUTHERES BEST FRIEND THICKNESS SANDER 1/2 THE PRICE OF THE OTHERS WORKS EXTREMLY WELL, THE REVIEWS ON THIS ONE WAS 4 STARS SO GOT IT ARRIEVED IN LESS THEN A WEEK. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Back