SoS Model Ship Builders in USA

Kurt Konrath

Kurt Konrath

OK, so just trying to find out who might be in my neck of the woods building models.

So my thought is we just list our login name and what state and or city your located in to help us all if we need to contact someone near us for help.

KKONRATH - Kurt Konrath, Oklahoma City, OK

Hey, Kurt.
I notice that some member's when I click on their user name, it shows state and/or city. Mine does not show that I live in Chapel Hill, NC.. Is there a way for us to add location ourselves, or does that have to be done by Admin?
Steven

Steven, yes you can fix it yourself.

What I did should work for you as well

click on your login name in upper right of header.

under that is a section called account details

select that and then on right side scroll down and there is a space to put your location, titled Location.

You can update other things there as well.

Let me know if this works for you.

Kurt: Go to your Account (Your name in the top right of this screen, assuming you've logged in) you will find a place to enter your location - as well as several other bits of info you might care to share.

Kurt: If you go to the NRG website - https://thenrg.org/ - and click on the "Resources" tab, then click the "Ship Modeling Clubs" heading, you will find under Oklahoma two ship modeling clubs listed. As a member of Rocky Mountain Shipwrights in Denver, CO, I can vouch for the value and comradery a local club can offer.

Martin

Good morning, Jim.
Actually, I am about 12 miles south of UNC, 2 miles east of Hwy 15/501, in Chatham County (Chapel Hill is Orange County). Our postal service is a rural route delivered from Chapel Hill Post Office. When GPS was coming into common usage, this type of rural route confused the heck out of a lot of GPS systems.
In 1996 I did some field-service work in & around Pinehurst, mostly on municipal water systems.
Have a great day.
Happy modelling.
Steven

Now we are getting somewhere with the thread, folks are finding others close to them.

Now if I can locate the groups in OK. One has phone number listed that has been disconnected, other mail address only, so I will drop both a letter and see if I can make contacts.

Good to know Steven. Seems like we're in the same boat - so to speak. My address is a West End p.o. but I live in a little community called Eastwood. It's about half way between Pinehurst and Carthage - also in the country. We live about a mile in from the nearest paved road. Can be a problem during the winter if it snows but is great for social distancing. We're about 2.5 miles off 15/501 here in our part of the state. Have a great day yourself.
Jim

Good to know Steven. Seems like we're in the same boat - so to speak. My address is a West End p.o. but I live in a little community called Eastwood. It's about half way between Pinehurst and Carthage - also in the country. We live about a mile in from the nearest paved road. Can be a problem during the winter if it snows but is great for social distancing. We're about 2.5 miles off 15/501 here in our part of the state. Have a great day yourself.
Jim
When this virus calms down, we should look into getting together somewhere to swap sea stories.

Spread the word to any other ship builders you know, and maybe we can get a few more yankee's or southerners or Texans or maybe someone from out west to join our USA chat.

I think it works well that the first two to join my thread live a short drive from each other and never knew it.

Steve, MRShanks is also in NC. We talk all the time, and visit when we can. If we can find a few more we could have a good gathering - after we get through all this virus junk.

:)Thumbsup
Good morning, ALL. I am pleasantly impressed with this new twist in our boat modelling hobby. Thank you Kurt for initiating this effort and to all who have chimed in already. One never knows what, or who, may be around the next corner. It is exciting.
Happy modelling.
Steven

Glad to be of help, now to find someone local to me. I have to try to find out what happened to old local club from about 15 years ago.

Hey, Kurt,
See if you can find any hobby shops, or material suppliers in or around your location. Maybe they know of modelers and/or modelling clubs.
As my step-father sometimes said "You can't never sometimes tell what is least likely to most likely happen."
Some boat modelling magazines publish info about clubs, usually with locations/contact info. MAYBE they would share such info, even if you are not a subscriber. And there is always the good old internet; maybe search for boat modelling clubs in your area would find something. I'll check some of my back issues of Seaways' Ships-in-Scale to see what I can find.
Happy Modelling.
Steven

Back