Sovrana Dei Mari

CPJ

This is my first attempt to build high-end model of a galleon ship
King Charles Sovrana my problem is with the bending very thin ply as shown in photo.
Could anybody give me some advice.

E02BCDCA-1B25-4D02-A49D-4DE08C46D1B1.jpeg

0F5E420A-ED99-4CA4-B326-891E3DFF6D6E.png

try amazon for benders the lutheres have many tools that ship builders can use also stew mac has one but extremly expensive it is a side bending item that uses heat to create steam it runs electrnicaly amozon has them for $99.00 free shipping it is really great in bending wood wet heat and bend, sugest you get the strap with it it gets very, vey, very hot. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Reactions: CPJ
I suggest a block of wood cut in two the same radius as the required bend, then used as a M/FM die former, dampen the wood & clamp between the two parts until dry. If it's 1mm ply it may even bend dry - I resist wetting v.thin ply for the fear of it delaminating - leave it in the former as long as possible & it could well hold it's curve until secued in place.

I suggest a block of wood cut in two the same radius as the required bend, then used as a M/FM die former, dampen the wood & clamp between the two parts until dry. If it's 1mm ply it may even bend dry - I resist wetting v.thin ply for the fear of it delaminating - leave it in the former as long as possible & it could well hold it's curve until secued in place.
Thank you Stuart, I will give that a try.
cheers Carl

Back