Speeljacht 1:50 (new project of "Seahorse")

Hello colleagues
Many modeler friends said to me that it would be nice to assemble a sailing ship, but rigging is generally too difficult. Therefore, a few years ago I asked Ab Hoving for an idea for a simple model with the simplest possible rigging, and I didn't have to wait long (2-3 hours) when a precise and immediately three-dimensional design of a "recreational yacht" appeared on my computer. ", i.e. "Speeljacht".
This design is very similar to the commercially available plans drawn by Cor Emke.
https://www.modelbouwtekeningen.nl/nvm-1006017-speeljacht-volgens-nicolaas-witsen-167.html

Recreation on the water was probably not an invention of the Dutch, because in the tomb of Tutankhamun an image of the pharaoh fishing on the Nile was found, which can be considered entertainment on the water. However, until the 17th century, sailing ships of various types fulfilled basically only commercial and war functions or were used for work, such as fishing. It was only when the trade in Asia enabled merchants to build great fortunes that yachts for entertainment appeared.
Clipboard01.jpg
Maybe it was then that "yachting" appeared as a way of spending time with family, friends or for business purposes. Not only did people relax by sailing for pleasure, but such expeditions were accompanied by delicious feasts, including plenty of drinks. Nicolaes Witsen even mentions a "beer house" under the aft deck. In addition to romantic trips, owning such a yacht meant prestige and/or wealth - a bit like modern billionaires and oligarchs.
2040260602_Afb1.jpg.3dec0d736fc30785136e09cd7f145792.jpg
The decorations were chic, but not flashy. The Netherlands was a Calvinist country, so one had to be modest. There was usually a family coat of arms on the stern.
melkschuit2.jpg
A similar model was developed in wood by Kalderstock.
And for the inquisitive and curious: the Clean2Anywhere Foundation has been experimentally recycling plastic for several years, building replicas of small historical yachts from it, including this speel yacht. Link to one of the videos where you can see the construction of a speel yacht:
Clean2everywhere.jpg

How is my construction going? So quick and easy that I didn't take many photos, especially obvious stages like frame frames,...
frames1.jpg
frames2.jpg

...or "first - false planking"

speeljacht 02.jpg
poszycie1.jpg

The retouched edge of decks has always "disgusted" me, so I experimented a bit and glued narrow strips on the visible edges, imitating the face of the boards. The stripe is 0.7 mm, my hand trembled a bit and it didn't turn out perfect, but I think it's a very good idea for the future.
deckfront.jpg

Since masking the edges like this has a future, I went ahead and played with the edges of the planks at the stern. There is also something to complain about, but that's my fault - I liked the idea itself.
planksfront.jpg

A large number of visible frames required tedious gluing and retouching, and initially I planned to glue them to the hull first and then continue covering them with the planks. Fortunately, before I started committing such stupidity, I changed my concept and glued this component separately, finally gluing the finished one to the model. In total, in four stages: 2 amidships and 2 aft.
speeljacht 03.jpg
speeljacht 04.jpg

The last layer of planks (in color) went very well, and of course the corrections were made on the edges that are covered with wales. This is how it turned out:
hull 10.jpg
hull11.jpg

Modest decorations (as I wrote at the beginning) will only be made of cardboard, so that the model is fully paper as standard. It was necessary to choose the coat of arms of some noble family. The final choice fell on the van Loon family, also because their "palace" still houses a popular museum.(https://www.museumvanloon.nl)
hull 3.jpg

That's it for now, only decorations, leeboards and very simple rigging remain.

Regards
Tomek

Interesting to see how such a cardboard model is planned and build - interesting also for a lot modelers without bigger or complex rigging Thumbsup

Great kit for starters (and for the experienced as well) with a very simple rig, producing a graceful little model of probably the first vessel in history exclusively built for the joy of sailing.
Tomek should have mentioned Rene Hendrickx, my loyal partner-in-crime, who materializes all my projects in the free Delftship 3D program before I start doing my humble thing. Seahorse made a wonderful kit out of the data derived from Nicolaes Witsen's wonderful book.
Recommended!

Thank you Uwe and Ab for motivation.

It took a long time to finish the hull, but it can finally be presented.
hullfull01s.jpg

In accordance with period drawings, I applied thick nails (glue and paint) on the wales, and attached two pairs of reinforcements to the stem.
hullfull03s.jpg

All the finishing touches and modest decorations appeared. Initially, I thought about cutting them with a laser, but it would require some plasticizing (e.g. with glue) and painting - which means a lot of work and time. So I cut out several copies by hand with a sharp scalpel and glued them to the sides. The decorative ends of the railings are simple bottomless "boxes" that I used to mask the ends of the edges of the railing.
hullfull05s.jpg

In the stern part there are belaying pins printed in resin (bigger and thicker than the ones I have used so far (e.g. in "De 7 Provincien) and they will probably appear in the store's offer soon.), a bench and a rod on which the sheet of the second sail moved. And a few little things at the stern.
All decorations are "conventional", i.e. you can make others according to your own intuition and skills.
hullfull08s.jpg
hullfull06s.jpg

Leeboards, characteristic for coastal vessels that moved in shallow waters, according to the plans, had semi-circular indentations - after gluing such a part, I gently cut out these indentations with a scalpel, corrected them with a file and covered the whole thing with strips. They were hung with an eye on a hook coming from the side. They were lifted by ropes, which is clearly visible in the photos.
hullfull02s.jpg
hullfull07s.jpg

A few more words about the rudder blade, which unfortunately I don't have any photos of. A simplified version would consist of layers of cardboard and that's it. Usually, however, the rudder blade was thicker at the front edge and thinner at the rear. That's what I did: the side layers of 0.5 mm cardboard are glued together at the back, and an additional narrow strip of cardboard is glued between at the front. This can be seen on the masking strips. The front edge (where hinges are) was not perpendicular, but ended at an angle - the glued side parts in the color have appropriate protrusions at the front, which, glued together, create a triangular ending. The recesses for the hinge axles are, of course, masked with another small strips. The thicker upper part of the stern blade, where the tiller is mounted, was created by appropriate shaping and simply gluing thicker cardboard between. For imaginative modelers, instead of the missing photos, I am posting a scan of the parts.
ster.jpg

And that's all.
hullfull09as.jpg

Regards
Tomek

Last edited:
Hello colleagues
Many modeler friends said to me that it would be nice to assemble a sailing ship, but rigging is generally too difficult. Therefore, a few years ago I asked Ab Hoving for an idea for a simple model with the simplest possible rigging, and I didn't have to wait long (2-3 hours) when a precise and immediately three-dimensional design of a "recreational yacht" appeared on my computer. ", i.e. "Speeljacht".
This design is very similar to the commercially available plans drawn by Cor Emke.
https://www.modelbouwtekeningen.nl/nvm-1006017-speeljacht-volgens-nicolaas-witsen-167.html

Recreation on the water was probably not an invention of the Dutch, because in the tomb of Tutankhamun an image of the pharaoh fishing on the Nile was found, which can be considered entertainment on the water. However, until the 17th century, sailing ships of various types fulfilled basically only commercial and war functions or were used for work, such as fishing. It was only when the trade in Asia enabled merchants to build great fortunes that yachts for entertainment appeared.
View attachment 433515
Maybe it was then that "yachting" appeared as a way of spending time with family, friends or for business purposes. Not only did people relax by sailing for pleasure, but such expeditions were accompanied by delicious feasts, including plenty of drinks. Nicolaes Witsen even mentions a "beer house" under the aft deck. In addition to romantic trips, owning such a yacht meant prestige and/or wealth - a bit like modern billionaires and oligarchs.
View attachment 433516
The decorations were chic, but not flashy. The Netherlands was a Calvinist country, so one had to be modest. There was usually a family coat of arms on the stern.
View attachment 433517
A similar model was developed in wood by Kalderstock.
And for the inquisitive and curious: the Clean2Anywhere Foundation has been experimentally recycling plastic for several years, building replicas of small historical yachts from it, including this speel yacht. Link to one of the videos where you can see the construction of a speel yacht:
View attachment 433518

How is my construction going? So quick and easy that I didn't take many photos, especially obvious stages like frame frames,...
View attachment 433519
View attachment 433520

...or "first - false planking"

View attachment 433521
View attachment 433522

The retouched edge of decks has always "disgusted" me, so I experimented a bit and glued narrow strips on the visible edges, imitating the face of the boards. The stripe is 0.7 mm, my hand trembled a bit and it didn't turn out perfect, but I think it's a very good idea for the future.
View attachment 433523

Since masking the edges like this has a future, I went ahead and played with the edges of the planks at the stern. There is also something to complain about, but that's my fault - I liked the idea itself.
View attachment 433524

A large number of visible frames required tedious gluing and retouching, and initially I planned to glue them to the hull first and then continue covering them with the planks. Fortunately, before I started committing such stupidity, I changed my concept and glued this component separately, finally gluing the finished one to the model. In total, in four stages: 2 amidships and 2 aft.
View attachment 433525
View attachment 433526

The last layer of planks (in color) went very well, and of course the corrections were made on the edges that are covered with wales. This is how it turned out:
View attachment 433527
View attachment 433528

Modest decorations (as I wrote at the beginning) will only be made of cardboard, so that the model is fully paper as standard. It was necessary to choose the coat of arms of some noble family. The final choice fell on the van Loon family, also because their "palace" still houses a popular museum.(https://www.museumvanloon.nl)
View attachment 433529

That's it for now, only decorations, leeboards and very simple rigging remain.

Regards
Tomek
Hallo Tomek alias @0Seahorse
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you for Birthday Wishes!

The moment has finally come, "finally", because I made two sails all week long and made a total of 12 of them. Each time something went wrong (stains), I made a mistake (wrong course of the warp and weft), after the third attempt it turned out that it was wrong I drew the template, the fourth one had stains again, etc. But finally the model is finished.
All in all, with such simple rigging there is not much to describe, so maybe I will share an idea (found on YT and simplified) for a different way of making coils of ropes hung on belaying pins.
There are, of course, several methods for making and hanging coils, and one of them involves tying them in such a way that there is a single loop at the top and only this loop is attached to the belaying pin. The original video is here:

Taking into account that the scale is smaller, I used a 6mm round dowel in which I quickly cut a groove.
1. I braided dowel 4 times

buchta a.jpg
2. I passed one loop
buchta b.jpg
3. I put the second loop into the first loop
buchta c.jpg
4. I tightened everything
buchta d.jpg
5. the size of the loop can be adjusted with the free end of the rope
buchta e.jpg
I don't know how this method will work at 1:100, but at 1:50 it's certainly a good lead.

And now I invite you to the gallery
ready 01s.jpg
ready 02s.jpg
ready 04s.jpg
ready 05s.jpg
ready 07s.jpg
ready 11s.jpg
ready 17s.jpg

Greetings
Tomek

Back