Square cannon ports

Does anyone know of you can cut out square cannon ports with milling machine? I mean cut aan square piece of wood and take out the inside so you have a square Window with sides of 2 mm. Machine is comming tomorrow and i am making window for cannon ports but shake to much to glue the woodpieces together.

Hi Pat. Cutting an inside square with a mill will always result in the corners having a curve the same radius as the mill bit. Common practice would be to mill it slightly smaller then square up the corners with a file. Mills can cut perfect "outside corners"... but not "inside corners". A laser can cut perfect both inside and outside corners but leaves a burn char.

Hope that helps some.

For cannon ports I glued square 'pipes' of timber flats with the requested thickness. The frames are then cut as slices from this pipe. With this method there is no problem with the corners.
Janos

I am with Janos on this one.This is my preferred method for plank on bulkhead builds.You can cut the holes slightly oversize and insert a length of scrap timber cut to slide through the tubes.This is then passed through the tube across the hull so you are gluing gun ports in both sides at once.Any gaps are shimmed with scrap timber wedges glued inbetween tube and hull.This gives you some adjustment.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Here is some wood channel stock, which could get you close without a lot of fiddly fabrication:
Anther possibility would be small diameter square tubing in aluminum or brass. Not spot on period correct, but you will have square openings and a coat of paint will hide the material.

Back