SS GREAT BRITAIN Finished Hull

At last I have finished the Hull, not exactly to my liking but it will do. Had so many problems, more then any other scratch build, maybe it.s because I'm getting older! Was not happy with the Hull planking or the paint I used as it came out so matte and lifeless looking so I tried some satin varnish, then it looked like a toffee apple!
Decided to strip it down, sanded it more to shape and then veneered the hull with 4 x. 5 mm wood, then ordered more paint but was not happy with the color, stripped down again. Ordered more paint and this was matte again. At last I got three colors in satin and finished the Hull.
The openings in the starboard side is I hope,20211005_110159.jpg to show some interior scenes

Maybe now I can get on with the next Stage.

Paul20211005_110240.jpg20211005_110253.jpg20211005_110306.jpg20211005_110206.jpg20211005_110216.jpg

At last I have finished the Hull, not exactly to my liking but it will do. Had so many problems, more then any other scratch build, maybe it.s because I'm getting older! Was not happy with the Hull planking or the paint I used as it came out so matte and lifeless looking so I tried some satin varnish, then it looked like a toffee apple!
Decided to strip it down, sanded it more to shape and then veneered the hull with 4 x. 5 mm wood, then ordered more paint but was not happy with the color, stripped down again. Ordered more paint and this was matte again. At last I got three colors in satin and finished the Hull.
The openings in the starboard side is I hope,View attachment 259780 to show some interior scenes

Maybe now I can get on with the next Stage.

PaulView attachment 259777View attachment 259778View attachment 259779View attachment 259781View attachment 259782
Very clean precised paint and lines over the hull planking. Waiting to see what goes inside. Rich (PT-2)

Thats looking great so far. Are you building a reciprocating steam engine for the model ?
Hi Brian
Hope your keeping well and your just the man I want to speak to.

I do not not know what I will do with the engine yet, I had made some bunk beds, furniture etc for some of the interior but it got ruined by having to sand the hull down with wet and dry to get the paint so many times, many passenger drowned in there beds!

I am making a model circa 1860 which went down to Australia and returned many times. My next step is the Spar Deck which was built on top of the Main Deck when the Ship was sold, my problem is nobody knows what it looked like, got in touch with the State Library of Victoria/SS Great Britain if they had any information on this deck but never received a reply.

Maybe if you time you could contact them, I know it's a cheek and would understand if you could not.

Nice to hear from you
Paul

Paul,

I just did a Google seach for SS Great Britain and found multiple images of her. There is also a Meccano model of the engine.

Paul,

I just did a Google seach for SS Great Britain and found multiple images of her. There is also a Meccano model of the engine.
Morning to you or evening there
I have googled my fingers to the bone, emailed the Curator at SS Great Britain in Bristol and my main problem is I have to build this Spar Deck which no paintings, photos or plans show what it looks like, even the colors is was painted. Nobody seems to know!
I will just have to make it from what original photos there are mainly whilst anchored in Melbourne.
Maybe I'll put a couple of Beach huts on board!!
I am not to bothered about the engine right now but thanks for your efforts.

Keep Healthy
Paul

Back