SS GREAT BRITAIN

Started about two month ago, finding it a bit complicating as I have no plans and cannot get good photos of certain parts as the hull as is quite a strange shape and I cannot understand sheer plans etc. Began first planking of the 16 bulkheads I cut out to a guess job of how it should be. Will need a lot of work after this to get ready for a second planking. Hope to build this model unlike and other of SS Great Britain but we will see, it might end up in the dustbin. Anybody have diagrams etc of it's later life after having 6 masts to help me?
Keep healthy Paul

Hello Paul,
thats a very ambitious model to scratch build. What scale are you doing the model ?

Hi Brian
Hope your keeping well in OZ maybe I have been out there 20 odd times over the years.
Yes it's a difficult build, there are no plans or scale drawings etc only books which basically show the same thing, even difficult to see a decent photo of the lower stern where the rudder to goes to up to the main hull, all photos's seem to be in the shadows etc. The Great Britain Institute do not give out plans etc,
I think this project suits me as I enjoy planning and scheming and very important to me bodging! I know this attitude is against the expert modelers but it's very useful.
The scale is 1/83 approx. you know I like to build things to approx! I think this is right as my keel from stern to bow is 1.18 metres.
At least when I finish the first planking I can begin to get the lines needed but only by eye.
Used MDF for the bulkheads
Keep well
Paul

Hello,
you perhaps may contact the Brunel Institute, there are plans and drawings of SS Great Britain in the David MacGregor Ship plans Collection. You can download a Plan Inventory from their website
Brunel Institute Collections
In the pdf-File, scroll down to ss Great Britain, and you could contact the curator (link on above site) to order hi-res pictures of the drawings or illustrations.
Hope this is of use for you.

Hi Marcus
Very nice of you to feed me information about SS Great Britain.
Yes I have done this and in contact with a very nice Lady Curator who has given me some information. The problem is I am building the ship unlike any other model (have not seen similar searching the internet).
I am waiting for more information from the curator but everything is shut down in Bristol, so I will have to wait.
I am still working on the hull which has been difficult to get the right shape but it will have to do!
In the meantime I wish you a nice Christmas and a HAPPIER New Year
Keep well
Paul

Hello,
you perhaps may contact the Brunel Institute, there are plans and drawings of SS Great Britain in the David MacGregor Ship plans Collection. You can download a Plan Inventory from their website
Brunel Institute Collections
In the pdf-File, scroll down to ss Great Britain, and you could contact the curator (link on above site) to order hi-res pictures of the drawings or illustrations.
Hope this is of use for you.
Hallo @Markus
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back