SS Normandie Ocean Liner, 1:350 Scale Model Kit, by JohnM

Hi Everyone,

I started this thread originally in response to a post by Dennis about building the Old Model Kits 1/350 SS Normandie resin kit. I'm going to rework this, from the beginning, with captions!

I bought the kit in 2017 as soon as I learned it was available, and as soon as I was able to talk myself into spending the money. So I've been working on it off and on ever since. Lately I've been working on it a lot. But once again, it's gonna go on hiatus while I try to finish another model in time for the IPMS Nationals in Omaha this summer. There's no way I'll finish Normandie in time without really rushing it, and I don't want to do that.

So here we go from the start. First thing was to prep the two halves of the hull for cementing. This was a challenge because it didn't line up very well. I used Six10 epoxy from West System. This is a marine-grade, slow-curing, gap filling adhesive. Great stuff! https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive/

01 IMG_1891.jpg

02 IMG_4046.jpg

03 IMGP3933.jpg

04 IMGP3931.jpg

07 IMGP3934.jpg

06 IMGP3935.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John, the hull looks very nice. I still need to start with the SS Normandie, but one of the biggest challenges is the hull. Both parts do not fit properly. How did you fit both parts to each other?

Hi Dennis, yes, joining the hull together was a project in itself. The first thing I did was to sand all the mating surfaces so they're flat and square. I used a long strip of very course sandpaper taped to a flat surface, and power tools!

As mentioned in the instructions, cut notches in the cast-in supports to give the hull a little flexibility. I used wooden dowels and epoxy to push the sides out in places. Eventually I got the fit to be "good enough." I joined the halves with epoxy and lots of clamps and very heavy duty rubber bands.

It still required a lot of filling and sanding, and then rescribing the lost plating detail. It's a good idea to rescribe these lines as you go rather than trying to recreate them in areas where they're completely sanded away.

I ended up rescribing all of them.

Last edited:
Still scribing and sanding. The row of windows below the promenade had a lot of casting defects so I was thinking of a way to redo them, which is why I filled them in.

12 R0000064.jpg

13 IMG_5017.jpg

14 IMG_5134.jpg

15 IMG_5132.jpg

Last edited:
Which forum should I use? The one for plastic models?
Hello, John. I have been moved all of your posts, responses corresponding to your Normandie model. Please continue using this thread as your build log.

Hi John, the hull looks very nice. I still need to start with the SS Normandie, but one of the biggest challenges is the hull. Both parts do not fit properly. How did you fit both parts to each other?
Hello Dennis,

It would be awesome if you will start your own build log. How does this sound to you? ;)

In 1935, the SS Normandie sailed triumphantly into New York harbor on her maiden voyage. As "Queen of the Seas" and a "Floating Work of Art" she was never surpassed.

Hi Dennis, I've been working on that 1/350 Normandie kit. It's a challenge, but doable.
Hallo John alias @JohnM
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the SS Normandie going ?

Hallo John alias @JohnM
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the SS Normandie going ?
It's picking up steam, so to speak! I've been working on it a lot. I'd like to start a new build log thread.

I'd like to start a new build log thread.
sounds very good and we would be happy to see your progress,
but please do not start a new building log, you can post your photos here in this topic, so we half everything together in this building log...

Still scribing and sanding. The row of windows below the promenade had a lot of casting defects so I was thinking of a way to redo them, which is why I filled them in.

View attachment 300794

View attachment 300795

View attachment 300796

View attachment 300797
I have always thought of the Normandie as one of the most stylish of the liners... did not know there was a kit available. I will have to keep an eye out for that. The complexities of fit are a little disconcerting though... I did recently complete a build of the France, which is essentially her successor... also stylish and fabulous! I would LOVE to see what your Normandie looks like when completed!

Thanks! I have been working on other projects but will get back to Normandie soon, and I have lots more photos.
Anything to report on completion? Still eager to see what your hard work paid off looking like :)

Anything to report on completion? Still eager to see what your hard work paid off looking like :)
Well, yes: the body work on the hull is complete including all the scribing and (I think) cleaning out all the portholes. So I'm starting on the upper decks which is a lot of cleaning up of the small windows. Then lifeboats and their hardware, etc. etc.
I haven't worked on in it about a year! I was working on an airplane last year, then I broke my wrist and couldn't work on models, etc. So I'm finishing that plane by the end of next month and I will try to have SS Normandie done by the end of July for the IPMS Nationals in San Marcos, Texas.

It's been much, much too long! This is about where I left off. I added some internal structural detail to the aft (dummy) funnel that looks kind of accurate...

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6443.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg

Hi John,

You have done some really excellent work on your model of the S.S. Normandie.

Beau.

Well, yes: the body work on the hull is complete including all the scribing and (I think) cleaning out all the portholes. So I'm starting on the upper decks which is a lot of cleaning up of the small windows. Then lifeboats and their hardware, etc. etc.
I haven't worked on in it about a year! I was working on an airplane last year, then I broke my wrist and couldn't work on models, etc. So I'm finishing that plane by the end of next month and I will try to have SS Normandie done by the end of July for the IPMS Nationals in San Marcos, Texas.

It's been much, much too long! This is about where I left off. I added some internal structural detail to the aft (dummy) funnel that looks kind of accurate...

View attachment 359497

View attachment 359498

View attachment 359499

View attachment 359500
That is really cool... I bow down to your expertise on making the model so damn AWESOME! And also, I did not know that Normandie's aft funnel was a dummy... interesting, and kudos to you for making it so structurally accurate. I try to upscale all my models but I think your skills have me beat, LOL!

That is really cool... I bow down to your expertise on making the model so damn AWESOME! And also, I did not know that Normandie's aft funnel was a dummy... interesting, and kudos to you for making it so structurally accurate. I try to upscale all my models but I think your skills have me beat, LOL!
Thanks. I haven't built a ship of any kind since I was in grade school, but I've worked on a lot of difficult and primitive airplane kits. It all crosses over - except for the ship things that planes don't have, like wooden decks!

The dummy funnel housed a dog kennel and I think a children's play area too.

Hi Everyone,

I started this thread originally in response to a post by Dennis about building the Old Model Kits 1/350 SS Normandie resin kit. I'm going to rework this, from the beginning, with captions!

I bought the kit in 2017 as soon as I learned it was available, and as soon as I was able to talk myself into spending the money. So I've been working on it off and on ever since. Lately I've been working on it a lot. But once again, it's gonna go on hiatus while I try to finish another model in time for the IPMS Nationals in Omaha this summer. There's no way I'll finish Normandie in time without really rushing it, and I don't want to do that.

So here we go from the start. First thing was to prep the two halves of the hull for cementing. This was a challenge because it didn't line up very well. I used Six10 epoxy from West System. This is a marine-grade, slow-curing, gap filling adhesive. Great stuff! https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive/
Hallo @JohnM
Birthday-Cake

Back