St Roch

I was delighted to see the posting on the St Roch. As a scratch builder from North Dakota I had no first hand experience with sailing ships. About 30 years ago I had a project in Van Couver and while there I had an opportunity to go visit the Maritime Museum. The St.Roch was the central exhibit. After touring the ship, I decide to try my hand at building her .I sent to the Canadian Gov. a request for blue prints, after signing a paper that I would not build her full size and 10 dollars, I received the blue prints. I Built her 1/4 inch to the foot, right off the plans. l left one side of the hull open to show below decks .Can`t remember how long it took . When it was finished I gave it to my brother in law. Found a letter he sent me on arriving home. He titled the letter THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE ST. ROCH FROM ARIZONA TO VAN COUVER.....Fast forward I decided to build her again as she was refitted in the 40`s. this time I`m building her 1/2 in to the foot as the parts are too small using the 1/4 in scale for these old eyes and hands to work with. She`s about 4 ft. long. Working on detailing her now.
There's a structure behind the wheel house that I judge to be about the size of a modern water heater. I have no idea of what it is, One of the smoke stacks come out of it and a pipe appears to enter it from the diesel engine,,a muffler ? Tried calling the Museum but just got a recording.
Read Capt. Larsen's book, THE BIG SHIP. Not many of us could have endured what they went through.

I was delighted to see the posting on the St Roch. As a scratch builder from North Dakota I had no first hand experience with sailing ships. About 30 years ago I had a project in Van Couver and while there I had an opportunity to go visit the Maritime Museum. The St.Roch was the central exhibit. After touring the ship, I decide to try my hand at building her .I sent to the Canadian Gov. a request for blue prints, after signing a paper that I would not build her full size and 10 dollars, I received the blue prints. I Built her 1/4 inch to the foot, right off the plans. l left one side of the hull open to show below decks .Can`t remember how long it took . When it was finished I gave it to my brother in law. Found a letter he sent me on arriving home. He titled the letter THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE ST. ROCH FROM ARIZONA TO VAN COUVER.....Fast forward I decided to build her again as she was refitted in the 40`s. this time I`m building her 1/2 in to the foot as the parts are too small using the 1/4 in scale for these old eyes and hands to work with. She`s about 4 ft. long. Working on detailing her now.
There's a structure behind the wheel house that I judge to be about the size of a modern water heater. I have no idea of what it is, One of the smoke stacks come out of it and a pipe appears to enter it from the diesel engine,,a muffler ? Tried calling the Museum but just got a recording.
Read Capt. Larsen's book, THE BIG SHIP. Not many of us could have endured what they went through.
Hallo @Capt_Jim
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back