Steam Box for Bending Planks

I've decided to build a steam box to help in bending planks for the model I am building. I already had the steam generator because I build fishing nets for fly fishing and have to bend the hoops. So, I got some pine and constructed a box to hold planks and any thing else that might need serious bending. I'll next build a form or set of forms to which the steamed pieces will be clamped to hold their bent shape while they dry. I'll post pictures of the forms and how well they work once I have completed them. The box is done. Pictures to show. If you have any questions or even ideas, please let me know! I'll be more than happy to help!

View attachment 207872View attachment 207873View attachment 207874View attachment 207875View attachment 207876View attachment 207877View attachment 207878View attachment 207879View attachment 207880
Hello, I am a shipmodeller livin in Queretaro, MEXICO, I am building theHMS VICTORY fron a kit from ARTESANIA LATINA, sacle 1/72, now I need to bend a strip of hard wood (Cherry wood) in a very thight radius, thas why I was looking for methods for bending hard woods and I found that a good one was to use a Steam Box, so looking around I found your model, now I have a question, what should be the temperature that I must hold in the box and what about a a safety valve to prevent an explosion ddue to excesive presure in the box, (I see none in your model. Thanks in advance for your respose. Cordially Timochenko

Hello, I am a shipmodeller livin in Queretaro, MEXICO, I am building theHMS VICTORY fron a kit from ARTESANIA LATINA, sacle 1/72, now I need to bend a strip of hard wood (Cherry wood) in a very thight radius, thas why I was looking for methods for bending hard woods and I found that a good one was to use a Steam Box, so looking around I found your model, now I have a question, what should be the temperature that I must hold in the box and what about a a safety valve to prevent an explosion ddue to excesive presure in the box, (I see none in your model. Thanks in advance for your respose. Cordially Timochenko
The temperature is that of steam. Created at 212° F/100°C by a steam generator. The control is TIME. How long you steam your wood before bending. How thick is the wood? Does the wood lend itself to steam bending. My box has a hold in the bottom allowing pressure to escape but mostly as a drain for condensation. There is a pan below to catcg the water. I steam parts for 45 minutes to an hour typically. Then immediately move them to a clamping form and clamp them in. Allow to dry overnight.

20210126_160313.jpgBox16.jpgBox5.jpgBox14.pg.jpgBox2.jpgBox10.jpg

Back